Microsoft's SUR40 Surface shipping in early 2012 for $8400

By Shawn Knight
Nov 17, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Samsung has put the Microsoft Surface SUR40 up for pre-order on their website. The second-generation Surface device is less bulky than the original and features a 40-inch display with a…

Read the whole story
  2. I want one.
  3. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

They should bundle it with RUSE.
  4. dotVezz

dotVezz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 117

Why are there so many things I want to spend my money on? >_<
  5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Now THAT is an iPad!
  6. Ubwarcher07

Ubwarcher07 Newcomer, in training

Finally something to do at the dinner table
  7. Soon to be cheaper and affordable i hope if they just sell the table screen and let customers hook up their own PC.

And it's Samsung! +1
  8. Win7Dev

Win7Dev TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 323   +18

Athlon x2 = Not that great of performance for 2012. That's a ridiculous price considering a regular 80 led tv is only $2500 in the US. Even if the screen costs $5000 they still make like $3000 in profit per device sold.
  9. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Booster Posts: 410   +42

10. @win7Dev, sure, why not put you 80" on the table, and spill a cup of water on it, and have your kid bang on it with a spoon, and see what happens?
  11. chaboi390

chaboi390 Newcomer, in training Posts: 83

and then someone sneezes.... :|
  12. Excellent! Now I can finally buy the mapping computer from the movie ALIENS (1986).

They had a similiar device in the scene where they were figuring out where the rest of Hadley's Hope survivors are located.
  13. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,237   +335

The system hardware is worth about 1k, it is quite low by today's standards. 8k asking price is taking the piss. Oh, and imagine buying a 10" pad today with resolution of 400x400 pixels - because this is what you get when you use it same close. Rubbish.

14. That's just the cost of the device. I wonder how much it is to find a developer to actually create custom software for Surface.
  15. To clarify,
    1- this is not a home user machine. It is for business use. ( i still want one though)
    2- It not a normal multitouch monitor. it can identify more than 50 points and it knows the shape of the thing that is on it. For example, if you put your hand on it, it will see a full hand. If you brush with a hand brush, it will see the brush hairs.
    3- As someone mentioned, it can handle a little rough use.
    4- You are paying for the Surface software that it has, which the part MS has contributed to the whole thing. in fact MS will only get the software license from samsung.
    5- You are paying for years of development from MS and Samsung to come up with this innovative solution.

Source: I will be selling this thing.
  16. i want one to play Pong on it
  17. Zecias

Zecias TechSpot Booster Posts: 202

this + kinect would be amazing

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.