Microsoft's transparency report details law enforcement requests

By Shawn Knight
Mar 21, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is following in the footsteps of other tech giants like Google and Twitter by releasing a transparency report that outlines requests for information from law enforcement officials. In it, Redmond said they received 75,378 requests for customer information across...

Read more
  2. Nima304

Nima304 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 292   +31

Good on them for mostly giving information when a warrant was present. I'm impressed.
  3. Ravik

Ravik Newcomer, in training Posts: 44   +8

Microsoft gets a bad rap for their "bad" decisions. I suppose when you release as many products in as many markets as they do, you're bound to make some folks unhappy. But whenever I start feeling like jumping on the anti-m$ bandwagon I think about the MANY good things they've brought us. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, OneNote, SharePoint, Xbox, Windows 7 (still not there with 8)...

Anyway, I'm not really too surprised that a company as large as Microsoft refused to provide information on its users without a warrant. You have to get up pretty early in the morning with more than just a fistful of 'Benjamins' to get their legal team to budge! :D

Cheers!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.