TechSpot

Microsoft's windowsupdate.com running Linux

By acidosmosis
Aug 17, 2003
  1. It looks as thought Microsoft's windowsupdate.com server is running Linux. Microsoft afraid to use their own products now?

Has anyone else heard about this or can confirm it?

2. Telexen

Telexen TS Rookie

I've heard the rumor from several other places...I've never seen proof though.

3. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,343   +6

4. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,350

olefarte yea I saw that link :)

5. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,994

OMG!!!!!!!!! I went to windows update and updated. when I rebooted a penguin came on the screen and said if I ever want to see my XP again to send 1,0000 in unmarked bills to the La Cosa Penguinostra!!!!

:D

6. Nic

Nic TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,549

You'd think it should be a lot easier to hack Linux, considering that hackers have access to the source code under GPL. I guess it's more fun to hack big money spinning organisations like Microsoft, rather than cheap open source based software.

7. Telexen

Telexen TS Rookie

It is easier to hack linux...until security is put into all the holes it in code. That's where M$ fails...they leave those holes open, thinking nobody knows about them because nobody can see the source.

8. acidosmosis

acidosmosis TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 1,350

9. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 5,734   +7

No, its not. The security model is quite different, and so is the implimentation and whole security ethos.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.