TechSpot

Microsoft's Xbox Music service launching on the 360 tomorrow

By Shawn Knight
Oct 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Outfits like Pandora and Spotify have helped pave the way for a growing list of streaming music providers, once again changing the way we all access and consume our favorite songs. Microsoft will be next on that list as they...

Read more

2. Gareis

Gareis TS Member Posts: 73   +14

Sorry mods, no Edit option,
    Even if I purchased an Xbox, I would never purchase Xbox live...

It won't be long now until sony implements this into their playstations.

(Turns out there is an edit option, but it doesn't show on iPads, same with facebook -.-)

3. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Maniac Posts: 585   +79

Exactly like spotify... again... still following other's footsteps. until microsoft come out with something innovative, people aren't going to just switch over.

4. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

They didn't already have some kind of music streaming app thingie?

5. Gareis

Gareis TS Member Posts: 73   +14

Not as far as I know.

6. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,965   +389

They had zune which wasent really streaming.
    And I own xbox and xbox live, and ill just stick to free spotify on my PC k thx.

7. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

They had the Zune Pass, which was actually the best service available for music lovers. For $14.99 a month you got unlimited music (offline) to your devices (PC/Zune/WP7), streaming for the 360, and you could unlock 10 songs a month DRM free to keep.

With them fading away from the Zune brand and turning it into Xbox Music, they dropped the price to $9.99, added the streaming option to other devices, removed the 10 songs you get to keep and upped the requirements necessary for the service.

So unless I'm missing something from Microsoft's press release, they transitioned away from a unique and arguably the best service around to a more standard streaming service which there are several of. From what I read some of the more popular Zune features may comeback, and Microsoft apparently plans on expanding this. But as of launch, the service at least to me seems like a downgrade, and I'm surprised no ones mentioned it.

gamoniac and Gareis like this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.