mid-range video cards

By abc
May 29, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. First, does anyone know when ATI will release new mid-range cards? I only found this chart, and it is sorely outdated.

I would like to know when because I am in the market for a new card, but not a $400+ one. Right now I have a R 9000. And I simply can't take it any longer. I am now finally out of school and have time to game (school + work = no fun :( ). If it will be a while before ATI puts its new cards out, I need to get one now. I am choosing between a 9600XT and a 9800 pro . I would not like to spend over $200, but that 9800 pro is looking mighty sexy :D

Know something I don't? Have an opinion? Let me know.

P.S. my system specs are in my profile, and thanks :grinthumb
  2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

Newegg.com sells a Powercolor Radeon 9800SE for $150. Its a 256 bit version, basically a 9800, and most can be soft modded into a 9800 Pro.
  3. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

I'd go with the 9800 Pro ( make sure it's a real one & not some 128-bit cheapo ). For the price, it's the best out there right now.

The 9800se at stock has +/- the same performance as the 9600XT & if you can mod it to 9800 Pro then it's much better ( but the success ratio on the modding is 50/50 ). The 9800se has a very annoying fan though ( high pitched ).

Like I said, stand clear of the 128-bit R9800 Pro cards -> RADEON 9800 PRO Gets Lower Speed Memory @ Xbitlabs.com
  4. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

Use the Omega driver for the soft mod. The Powercolor 9800SE has about an 080% success rate. Even if it doesnt mod its a good deal. Stock speed is 380/680.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.