Migration from XP to vista Home premium 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrustyOldGeezer

Well, the motherboard is dead, and now I have a new motherboard, new drive, new.... well everything.

Including vista 64 bit OS.

How do I migrate from the old hard drive to the new one?

Windoze 'easy transfer' requires the old computer to run the program to compress the files and send them over a USB cable, or put them on a cd/flash drive. sort of a difficult thing when the old computer is dead weight.....

Is there anything out there that will allow the old XP drive to be mounted as an external USB drive?

Thanks

You need to run the old drive on the new motherboard (as the only drive) and run XP repair (NOT the first recovery tool option but the second one after going for a windows install when it will detect your existing windows installation). This will get you access to the contents of the old hard drive. Export the files you want to keep - using the wizard if you like - and then install the new drive into the machine, install Vista 64 and then import the data.
This presumes that your old hard drive remained undamaged by whatever killed the old PC.

OK, I'm on the Vista machine.

I take out the Vista drive, install the XP drive and boot.

Where is the "XP Repair" program?

Does it come up? or do I need to have a CD handy?

Thank You.

Yes, I believe, you need the installation CD. You boot from it and it will give you options for recover, repair, install, etc. Never did it from the actual HD.

Sorry not to be here to keep this rolling - had to go and help a neighbour drink some beer.
Yes, you will need to run the install CD at startup as your XP installation will not run on a new motherboard.
At the first menu do not select repair but continue with install Windows. At the next option screen you will see another repair option - take it and the installation routine will replace all the key windows files. You will need your product key and if you want to run the program for more than 30 days you will have to activate it once the install/repair is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back