Minecraft delayed, also coming to Xbox 360

Emil

Staff

The immensely popular PC sandbox game Minecraft was supposed to leave beta status on November 11, 2011 but that date has been pushed back. Mojang Studios is changing the release date because the game's creator, Markus Persson, also known as Notch, wants to find a good venue for MinecraftCon and the date 11/11/11 is fully booked.

The release date was supposed to coincide with several other games and movies, and Notch gave it the unofficial tagline "us too." Now he's being forced to change the date, speculating that it could be a week later. More details will follow as soon as a venue has been booked. When it finally ships, Minecraft will be available for €20.00 ($28.87); right now it's still in beta and goes for €14.95 ($21.58).

Notch also confirmed that Minecraft is coming to the Xbox 360 this winter. The new version of the game, which doesn't have a name yet, will be designed specifically for console play. It will feature (but not require) Kinect support, and will be an exclusive Xbox 360 title.

minecraft xbox

The Xbox 360 version will join Minecraft - Pocket Edition, an Android port. The game will be arriving on the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play first, before it shows up for other Android devices. The Xperia Play was likely chosen because it has dedicated gaming buttons. The price of the app is still unknown, nor do we have a release date or specific exclusivity period for the Xperia Play, but we do know there is already working code, courtesy of the video released last month.

"On both these platforms, I’m going to be more secretive about giving out details," Persson said in a statement. "This is because there are actual PR budgets on them, and I don’t want to mess up any big plans. I will be the game designer on both new Minecraft titles, but I won’t be involved in the programming as I'm focused on the PC version of Minecraft."

Mojang Studios is currently working on Minecraft Beta 1.7, which Notch refers to as the "adventure update." Details are being kept secret so users can enjoy a few surprises, though it is known that exploration and combat will become more rewarding. Modding support is also coming on a small scale with version 1.7. The source code will be given out to a very small group of people before the release of version 1.7, followed by the modding API.

Minecraft was originally released (now referred to as the classic version) on May 17, 2009. It entered Indev status on December 23, 2009, Infdev status on February 27, 2010, alpha status on June 28, 2010, and finally beta status on December 20, 2010.

Permalink to story.

Oh, please. Xbox Live already has Fortresscraft, which is an exact replica of Minecraft. What about PSN? We need an indie game.

M$ paid for the exclusive rights, that's the only reason one would go exclusive and it a shame PSN owners lose out, however, I also can't imagine a 360 processor trying to run minecraft that even my i7 stutters with some rare times let alone a ATI Xenos... no fancy graphics for you!

Because playstation is horrible and I'd imagine they don't feel like wasting their time with it.

xclusiveitalian - the xbox 360 will handle it better than an i7. It has 3 cores with 3.2ghz each! Learn about the xbox then post! :p

xclusiveitalian - the xbox 360 will handle it better than an i7. It has 3 cores with 3.2ghz each! Learn about the xbox then post! :p

Oh, I'm sure plenty of people have learned what running an Xbox CPU at 100% for an extended period of time will do.

Besides you can easily OC the i7 to 3.2 with a stock cooler.

Lol Fortress Craft is a joke. It's nothing like Minecraft, just a failed rip off.

You can also easily overclock your xbox360 to a nuclear fusion reactor.

I will never understant why minecraft is fun, not matter what people say.

"Aren't all games a waste of time?"
Are you kidding me? Seriously? Go play Portal 2 right now. Go. I'll wait. Then we'll see if you still hold that opinion.

mine craft is a game for a computer

it would be like makin mario on the ps3, it wouldnt be the same

Notch is just taking Microsoft's cash to work on the PC version, which well remain the crown jewel of the series.

High cpu power isn't going to do much good in Minecraft. You need a good video card.

It will be interesting if & how it handles texture packs...especially high res ones.

can someone explain to me what exactly is so great about this game? it just seems like a very basic game with nintendo64-like graphics from what I've seen so far, Im not bashing it or anything I just cant see what all the hype is about, a little insight would be great, the fact that you need a good gpu as someone stated earlier is also baffling to me considering the graphics seen inscreenshots

Trust me I know everything that is inside the Xbox, and PS3 they both can't handle the game that my computer destroys 10 times over. Your xbox has a GPU equivalent to a nvidia 7900 lmaooo which is why Notch is really going to have to downsize the game that is already really basic looking.

Don't let the graphics fool you it's actually a very fun game that is all gameplay.

I just don't get why this ugly and trashy game needs such a powerful machine to run right

If you have ever played with Lego Blocks, you will understand the appeal. MC provides an endless world for exploration and interaction. You can build anything you want. The mod groups are producing some very interesting mods that can make anyones head spin. Its a game that if you look just at the cover you will be put off, but if you dive in and try it you wont be able to stop.

Multiplayer works, you can work with a group of people to build very complex cities.

Its hard to explain really, if you could try it, do it. Its an experiance that should be in many MMOs IMO.

Hope this helps.

Minecraft is really awesome ! the game is seriously as smart and creative as you can be! so if for you this game sucks then you probably suck too lol

Guest said:
I will never understant why minecraft is fun, not matter what people say.

I said the same thing...until I played it. But then again, I was a bit of a lego addict as a kid, so it kind of makes sense, lol.

I cried tears of joy when i heard this. Here is are my thoughts about Minecraft for Xbox,

PLUS
Playing Minecraft is wonderful on any system (have the ipod version and it good not perfect but fun)
Minecraft over live (10 - 60 people crafting)
New untapped players (yes there are people who dont know about this)

Minus
Admin Controls (flying, mass leveling terrain, spawning items and monsters)
FPS limits (i think it is 60)

Questions
8 bit or 16 bit (friend has the up graphic pack and it looks amazing)
If you can play with other how many person, how to control who joins, how to kick and ban.
Will Saves be on a servor or your local xbox
Will we pay for map packs (like zombies, such)
Can we upload our pc maps to xbox?
Can Minecraft play between Xbox, PSN, and PC? (i know Fanboys out there might hate this idea but it would be such a big thing for gamers all to be able to play with each other on any platform)

Xbox will adjust to make it work! (My computer is really nice but still has issues, how ever my P4 can still run it) I just hope there is a devp toolbox and sharable maps, if its not there, we will lose some of our love for the game but I'm glad Minecraft is going a bit more mainstream.

Last thought my guess is Minecraft will be game of the year when placed on xbox and will outsale all games this year if sold between $10-$20.

Thames

I have a core2duo dell 2.0 with a nvidia 7900GS (a laptop: Dell Inspiron e1705)and it runs the game fine, with all the bells and whistles or the lower end settings. haven't tried any add-ons or texture packs, just basic game runs fine. when world loads it tends to be a tad slow, but once loaded it runs amazingly well until i move to a new area it has to render.

the xbox should be alble to handle it. the only thing my laptop has that the xbox may lack is 4 gigs of ram (systems only utilizes 3.25 gigs), so that may cause some issues.and my video card has even had issues causing me to have to bake it in the oven to get it working again (about 4 bakes now, lol)

Back