Minecraft tops Modern Warfare 3, becomes most played game on 360

Shawn Knight

Staff member

For as long as Xbox Live activity has been divulged by Microsoft’s Major Nelson, a first-person shooter has been the most popular title based on the number of unique people playing a game while logged in with the service. Titles from the Gears of War and Halo franchise dot the map in addition to the most recent Call of Duty release at the time which has held the spot for more than two years.

That all changed recently as it was revealed that Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition is now the most played game on Microsoft’s popular console. The game was first released on Xbox 360 on May 9, 2012 and quickly shot up to second place where it remained under Modern Warfare 3 for several months.

minecraft dethrones call duty xbox -played game minecraft modern warfare xbox 360 call of duty

It appears that last week’s 1.8.2 “Adventure Update” was enough to push Minecraft into the top spot, just two weeks before Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is released. The update introduced Creative Mode, something that Minecraft fans had been looking forward to for quite some time.

Topping Call of Duty is a significant milestone as no other game in the past two years, including the world’s most popular sports franchise FIFA, was able to do so.

The fact that it isn’t a first-person shooter is also significant but even more interesting is the fact that it isn’t a full retail game. Minecraft is sold as a downloadable game from the Xbox Live Arcade and is the first time such a title has been at the top of Live’s activity charts.

Permalink to story.

Haha the 12 year olds have better taste in games than the 13-28 year old frat boy drunks that line up to buy COD which is a garbage game.

There is hope for this world after all.

I still have not played Minecraft. To be honest, I'm afraid it will consume my life. CoD is no threat though, its entertaining for about 10 minutes.

Haha the 12 year olds have better taste in games than the 13-28 year old frat boy drunks that line up to buy COD which is a garbage game.

As a 13-28 year old, although admittedly not fat, but often drunk, I am offended :p I do not know what kind of creature plays that game though...

As a 13-28 year old, although admittedly not fat, but often drunk, I am offended :p I do not know what kind of creature plays that game though...

lol frat as in fraternity so college students.

Oh my my....! This is soooo sad for the 360 gamers. M$oft abandon the console and it,s core gamers favoring Kinect. The gamers are starved for games M$oft!!! Take a page out of Sony's book and concentrate on games and not gimmicks, like kinect.

Oh my my....! This is soooo sad for the 360 gamers. M$oft abandon the console and it,s core gamers favoring Kinect. The gamers are starved for games M$oft!!! Take a page out of Sony's book and concentrate on games and not gimmicks, like kinect.
kinect isnt a requirement for Minecraft on xbox, what are you talking about? do your research before you make *****ic assumptions.

I don't like the idea of Minecraft on console - I enjoy it on PC, but going away from the PC gets rid of the casual feel to it.
Although I'm happy they are taking money away from the big publishers... :')

I don't like the idea of Minecraft on console - I enjoy it on PC, but going away from the PC gets rid of the casual feel to it.
Although I'm happy they are taking money away from the big publishers... :')

Hardly taking money away from publishers if they're paying Microsoft to have it on the 360.

If only they could join PC players... There is no comparison to minecraft for PC vs Xbox. It'd be like comparing Xbox Minecraft to iOS Minecraft.

Hardly taking money away from publishers if they're paying Microsoft to have it on the 360.
Sorry, I worded that badly - as the other guy said, I was referring to the fact that people make the choice of an indie game over a AAA game.
Microsoft isn't EA. It doesn't product run of the mill games every year so I highly doubt money is being taken away from Microsoft over Minecraft. Microsoft Gaming Studios has been pretty quiet as of recent because they are preparing Halo 4.

Microsoft isn't EA. It doesn't product run of the mill games every year so I highly doubt money is being taken away from Microsoft over Minecraft. Microsoft Gaming Studios has been pretty quiet as of recent because they are preparing Halo 4.

Read that again - I was quoting someone else's response to me. I was referring to publishers like Activison (since we are on the topic of COD), as people may have chosen to buy Minecraft instead of MW3. I know I have to make choices like that every year.

Read that again - I was quoting someone else's response to me. I was referring to publishers like Activison (since we are on the topic of COD), as people may have chosen to buy Minecraft instead of MW3. I know I have to make choices like that every year.
I swear I clicked reply on his post and not yours. I blame my crappy phone. My bad

Back