Minidump file. Can someone read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kernsy

My computer has been randomly rebooting. I get a minidump file and don't know how to read it to possibly get an idea what is going on. Help please.

I have run ram tests. I have 4 slots, each with the same model of ram 1 gig each. I ran with PC Check. When I ran the test the first time slot 1 failed and the others passed. I moved the ram in slot 1 to slot 3 and slot 3 to slot 1. Slot 1 passed this time and so did the rest. So is it that stick of ram that is now in slot 3 the problem? Or is it something else?

Attachments

• Mini020109-02.dmp
    100 KB · Views: 7
Your error is 0x8E and these are caused by hardware issues. Have you always run your system with XP and four gigs of RAM?

I have always run xp. When I built the computer I had only 2 gigs of ram. A few months later I bought 2 more gigs. They were the same model and brand as the ram I had before. No problems. Then it just started rebooting while I was using it or when I was away. Sometimes all that would appear on the screen was a black background with a blinking line in the upper lefthand corner. When that appears it is right after post on a reboot. Usually have to unplug computer to clear cmos to get it to start. I also noticed that I have a 0a minidump.

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
Crucial Ballistix 4GB DDR2 800
Sapphire Radeon 3850 256mb

XP at the most will utilize 3 gigs. Try this: Take out 2 gigs and see if that brings stability.

I did run that way for a bit and seemed stable will have to try it again. If it would be a bad stick of ram is there any way of knowing? As the ram testing programs can give inconclusive results?

Though bad RAM has been known to pass Memtest, overall it is a very good tool. Try running with just three sticks or try running with just the two new sticks and see if you are still stable.

By the way, Asus boards are good but they are also known to be picky about RAM. It could be that this motherboard running under XP along with 4 gigs of RAM could be causing your conflict. Just a thought...

I have never updated the bios on the board. There are several updates to do. If you needed to update the bios do you have to do each update separately?

Thank you I know how to update the bios. Asking if each update is needed to be installed separately or if i can do the lastest update and if this should be done in my situation.

Normally you update to the latest Bios revision
But according to the above guide this is a critical area that should only be done as last resort. Generally though the larger, well respected manufacturers are usually ok with Bios updates not destroying users computers.
But even the Manufacturers take no responsibility in this, ie Your fault if it doesn't work again

Looking briefly at the thread, there still may be other things to do first
Please run Memtest on your Ram
And confirm all your Device Drivers are up to date
Remove any highly resourced programs (including personal firewall, Zone Alarm being one of the bad ones here)
Virus/Malware activity

The list can go on

yes i am trying all other suggestions before i try the bios. that is my last resort. just looking for next step if need be. or a BFH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back