Minidump help

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my users said his machine is rebooting randomly from time to time. I only see one minidump from this year. To me it looks like a symantec issue (i ran memtest overnight with no errors) but i wanted expert opinions. here is the text from the minidump. thanks for your help

I believe your suspicion is correct. Looking at the minidump text the driver SRTSPX.SYS is not able to load. This belongs to Symantec. Many, many people come here with Symantec issues and we advise trying one of three things:

1. Update the current program.

2. Uninstall and reinstall current program.

3. Completely uninstall and go with better solutions that don't take up as much resource. Keep in mind if you uninstall you will have to in addition use Symantec's special Removal Tool for the particular version because a simple uninstall will leave remnants of itself behind. Symantec had to make these removal tools to clean out everything about their software.

One other thing to call your attention to. The error is an 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware and are especially strong indicators of corrupted memory though sometimes they can be cause by drivers.

You said you ran Memtest? For how long? The unwritten rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. if you have done this I suggest going into the BIOS and check the voltage setting of the RAM and see if it matches the voltage parameter design of the manufacturer's specs for said RAM.

* Keep us up-to-date.

Memtest ran overnight from around 5 pm til 8 am or so the next day. I dont know how many passes it made, just that it ran without errors for that long. I will try removing and reinstalling symantec with their cleanup program and hope for the best. What enterprise A/V solution would you suggest. Symantec is definitely up for replacement this year.

$ Antivirus - NOD32 (stay away from their full security suit but the antivirus is excellent), Kaspersky (more updates in a day than anyone)

Free AntiVirus - Avast 4.8 or Avira Antivir; seriously, these are very, very good and both have $ pro models

Firewall - Comodo (free and very good) or Online Armor except they don't have a 64-bit version yet. OA has both $ and free and the free even has HIPS.

Malwarebytes (excellent) and Superantispyware (excellent)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back