Mirror SCSI RAID array to SATA disk?

I'm just wondering... I'm setting up a server and planning on having either a RAID0 or a RAID5 array of SCSI disks.

I could potentially use a SCSI RAID1+0 setup for my backup needs, but I've been thinking along different lines. My system drive/array will be around 300 to 450GB in SCSI, and I'm planning on having a large capacity sata disk or two in RAID1 for data...

... while I know I probably can't use the same controllers, is there any cheap and easy way by which I could have the system drive (scsi striped array) mirrored to a dedicated sata drive for backup purposes, such that if I lose the whole striped array at some point, I'll still have a backup of the lost data with which to build a new array to replace it with?

Krissie,
The good thing about Raid 5 is if one disk starts to die it gives you warning and time to pull it out and rebuild it without missing a lick. If the controller goes you can replace it and your drives will still be fine.

Now if you want to back up your entire network to a SATA array then i would advise investigating Data Protection Manager 2010 (DPM 2010). Full backup to a disk array every day and incremementals every 15 minutes, then a tape backup to take to the bank on the weekend.

That's very true, though if two disks die it's a complete loss, and I don't want that risk at all...

... which is why I'm wanting to mirror the contents of an entire SCSI array onto a sata disk if possible.

Back