Mirrored RAID issue

By Hodsocks
Dec 29, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I have been working on a pc with 2 x 320GB SATA drives in a mirrored RAID configuration, the mobo is an ASUS M4A79XTD EVO. I was working inside the case, when I had finished I started up the pc but received a critical message about the RAID missing a drive, when I looked inside the case I noticed that I must have knocked one of the power supplies to one drive off, I reconnected it but on boot up I have the same message. The BIOS is detecting all drives and once in windows 7 all drives are detected but as 2 seperate drives.
    How do I get these drives back to the original RAID configuration?
    I have checked through the RAID software but I can't find anything allowing me to repair the RAID.
  2. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 513   +8

Go to your BIOS and re-configure it, check your manual formore info.
  3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,233   +234

With RAID enabled in the bios, there should be a screen during boot up allowing you to press control-i or something like that to re-configure the RAID Array
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,145   +597

under no circumstance, elect to reformat either HDD or the Array itself - -
    that is catastrophic to the existing data.

hopefully, you have a backup and if so, you can recover the data if the above reformat is required
  5. Tmagic650

The RAID utility (outside the bios) might just allow rejoining the missing hard drive to the array without formatting
  6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,145   +597

YES (the better S/W does), but the onboard software (as apposed to the Raid-PCI cards) seldomly does :(
  7. Tmagic650

I played with my striped RAID array. I wanted a 1TB array, but I had to add an additional 450GB drive to my 2 500GB drives to get to 1TB due to disk overhead. I do think I had to reformat the entire array to add a drive though
  8. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 370

The system is happily booting into windows but then you would expect it being a mirrored setup as both drives should be identical. The one thing I noticed in Disc Managent in control panel is that although both drives appear to be identical the second drive has a small 70MB partition that the other one doesn't have, could this be the cause of confusion, if I get windows to increase the partition size to absorb this would the RAID work OK?
  9. Tmagic650

All 3 of my RAID drives show as one drive, 1.09TB in Disk Management. No separate drives exist