Mirror's Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaUcY

im really sorry if theres another thread on this topic but i couldnt find one and i couldn't get past their ridiculous captcha to search it. ANYWAYS, my friends running mirrors edge with my old 3870 and it runs pretty descent on "highest" setting and x4AA except for a hiccup here and there. it seems though that if i turn it down a little bit at a time it doesn't do anything, make it run worse if anything. does mirrors edge just not have amazing coding or is it just the 3870(the 3870 im guessing) but is anyone running it with a 3870 with reccomended specs? any help will be much appreciated.... thank you.

It's the card. Also depends on what resolution you play at. And AA is a known performance killer, so turning it down a notch or disabling it will do wonders for the frame rate.

I don't know if i remember correctly, but the hd3000 series has a bug with AA that causes some issues (I think), either that or the hd3000 series just sucks at AA. Either way you should turn it off. I do know that when the CPU does not provide a consistent amount of calculations, powerplay will kick in and set the card in 2D mode, slowing it down a LOT for a short period of time.

alright.... i kinda figured it would be the AA because its such a resource hog. i turned it down to x2 but not off, ill try that. glad i just bought myself a 4870 for this game:)

does anyone have this game running with any AA?!?! everytime i have glass breaking around me it drops to like 5FPS with my brand new sapphire radeon 4870 toxic, phenom 9850, 4gigs of ram and plenty of hdd space so i dont think anything is botlenecking it. this games runs EXTREMELY SMOOTH with everything up its just when glass is breaking it craps out same with on my freinds comp. its driving me CRAZY!!!!!!! HELP ME!!!!!!!!:confused:

sweet

i found out that was the problem with it last night.... why does the physx kill it so badly?! does it only allow physics to be processed with a physics card? or do they just have extremely good physx that will eat through any video card?
thanks again

PhysX implementation is kinda broken on ATI cards. Your mileage may vary.

You can implement PhysX via an Ageia PhysX PPU card, but those are not worth the price.

I didn't realize there was any PhysX implementation on ATI cards - especially since the company was acquired by nVidia. As far as I know you will only use this feature if you have a PhysX card or if you have an 8 series or newer nVidia card. I guess they are working on something for the ATI side but I don't know that it has been implemented yet. Are you using one of the hacks/mods to enable this?

hmmm.... i just figured physx was another feature in games like anti-alaising, because crysis had physics and "turning point" had it and even installed the physx program and i ran everything up on there with my old 3870. so you need certain hardware on your vcard for physx? or is it just software ATI doesnt add to the cards?

It's kind of a combination of both. Special drivers offload the physics calculations to the GPU if it is capable of this. The GPU can do these calculations much faster and in effect frees up more cycles on your CPU which improves your performance. For machines with PhysX capabilities the areas of the game giving you problems would have a different set of geometry from one without. These areas (breaking glass for you) are simplified for non-PhysX systems. It all comes down to eye-candy which can make or break a game these days.

well thats wicked lame!

why doesn't ATI add the firmware to their cards! did Nvidia buy all the rights to it? kinda wanna get a physX card now.

Don't bother. There is some work underway to get PhysX support added to ATI cards - but yes, nVidia does own it outright now. Seems to me like they're doing this out of the kindness of their heart, but who knows what their real motives are.

Beta drivers are underway for PhysX support on ATI cards (the 3000 series at least, not sure about the 4000 series) via CUDA, but I suspect it will be a long time before we see a useable version anytime soon, especially due to AMD's unwillingness to support CUDA and PhysX on the Radeons.

As for NVIDIA helping ATI for PhysX implementation, it is not because of NVIDIA's apparent benevolence, but to prevent ATI from implementing a hardware-based version of the Intel-owned Havok physics engine on its current range of GPUs. I think it is the only area where AMD and Intel see eye-to-eye. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, no? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back