Missing .dll (and I cannot find it on the internet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGEtheBEAST

Hello, I was on a friend's computer and when I clicked on various applications such as Paint, an error would pop up stating that the application failed to launch because "msjvofeeqdx.dll" was not found. They are running XP. Upon further use, I realized that other applications not related to the Windows itself were also relying on this missing .dll file and would not run for the same reason. I have searched Google and all sites where one is supposed to be able to find missing .dll files and have came up with nothing. Is there anything I can do in order to avoid reinstalling their Windows? Any help would be very welcome. Thanks.

msjvofeeqdx.dll appears to be misspelled. Have you carefully checked the spelling...
Either that, or you have an infestation that is not yet recorded.

Thanks for your reply; msjvofeeqdx.dll is the correct spelling, for that I am sure...I suppose it is an "infestation that is not yet recorded"? Is this the only other possibility?

It is rare that msjvofeeqdx.dll would be a valid file, and not found in a qualified search program, but I find no traces.

I would run your original install disk in R for Repair mode, to see if it can be fixed that way... Then again run the two spyware programs plus Avira Anvivir or Avast.

I suppose that should be my most practical option...repairing...This function should not alter or erase any pre-existing files right? Thanks again.

No!! Not a repair!

Just based on that dll file name alone i'd say with 90+% confidence you are malware infected! (or, in best case, it's residue left behind from your A/V only partially cleaning up a malware infection). See here for Virus/Malware Removal Instructions and post a new thread in the Virus/Malware forum for follow-up

I suppose it is an "infestation that is not yet recorded"?
The infected file could be any name
The Viruses are made to use any name or even change names when infecting another machine
Therefore this could be even an old Virus or Malware (likely Trojan)

Obviously your present Antivirus wasn't updated or isn't really good?
I prefer free Avira Antivirus as my only installed Antivirus software

Yes I have Avira pro or something like that and Comodo firewall...but these people don't. I would think it is safe to say that this could be an infection due to the lack of protection but it may just need to be repaired too...I'll see what works.

Yes I have Avira pro or something like that and Comodo firewall...but these people don't. I would think it is safe to say that this could be an infection due to the lack of protection but it may just need to be repaired too...I'll see what works.

It shouldn't hurt to do a repair (tho disconnect from the internet till you get it fixed)....

But IMHO: is most highly probable that filename was generated by a virus (and the odds of that only increase further given the problem scenario you described)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back