Missing driver for coprocessor

I will start off saying I am not tech savvy at all. But I have a message in my device manager saying that I missing driver software for my coprocessor. A friend of mine built this computer awhile ago and could not solve this problem, but I thought I'd give it a go here on the forums. Here is the message my computer is telling me:

Coprocessor
Device type: other devices
Manufacturer: Unknown

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

I have to tired to update the driver online automatically and there was no driver found, and I know my friend in the past installed all drivers that came with the computer. Is there anyone out there that could help me? Thanks.

You should be able to get the driver for this from the CPU manufacturer. Look for Cop driver. It is for a part of the CPU that performs additional functions.

I may be able to give further assistance if you tell me what processor you have.

It is quite likely that this is a motherboard related driver. Go to the motherboard maker's website and download and install all the drivers you find there - don't worry of they duplicate the ones you already have installed as this will also update them as necessary.

Saw that you mentioned that you're a bit inexperienced when it comes to computers, so feel free to ask away if you need anything explained!

------------------------
The coprocessor is (unless I'm mistaken) a chip (processor) which performs some of the Central Processing Unit's additional work, such as arithmetics and other math-related issues.

Usually, the coprocessor is a part of the motherboard, thus if you have any driver-related issues with it, you are best advised to follow these instructions:
1. Look up the brand and name of your motherboard (like, "Gigabyte 80280i" or something like that) - either by running the program called "DxDiag" (accepting WHQL is a safe option :) ) or by looking at your motherboard directly, these things are often printed on the PCB (surface of the motherboard).
2. Go to the motherboard manufacturer's website, and look for an option to download motherboard drivers.
3. Download and install all motherboard drivers for your motherboard model.

If that doesn't solve your issue, or if you're stuck/curious regarding one of these steps, feel free to ask.

Keep in touch!

------------------------------------

Can't say that I've heard the term 'coprocessor' since the early 00's, tell me: do you know how old the motherboard is? Just curious.

If you could give us a clue as to whether your computer has been doing this along, or just started acting up?

Windows loads a great many drivers when it is installed. Usually, there a just a few that you need to install yourself.

These include the "LAN" driver, (internet), and the sound driver, since all sound subsystems are licenses. Windows automatically loads its own sound driver, but all this is does is give you the annoying plings, plangs, plunks, and plops that are the reason I never turns on my speakers, unless I want to watch a video, listen to music, or hear a tutorial.

The video driver must also be installed.

Another driver, (installed FIRST), is the chipset identification driver. This is true with Intel boards, and I know embarrassingly little about AMD systems, to say whether they need the same thing or not.

In older boards (with XP), you must also install "SATA" drivers. This would allow your SATA HDDS to run in their native mode, (called "AHCI"), or in several configurations called, "RAID", which I have no intention of explaining at this juncture.

In any event, I've never seen a "Coprocessor" driver supplied separately for any motherboard I've dealt with over the past few years.

So, please let us know about my original question, will ya?

On the systems I've dealt with, you simply install the OS (like XP), go online (first things first = install an antivirus like, say, avast!). Then either insert the motherboard driver-CD/DVD, or go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and download all the motherboard drivers.

This usually includes drivers for all the built-in peripherals. Like sound, HDD-management, chipset drivers, network drivers etcetera. Only GPU drivers were needed after that.

Although that was 95% of the time because the GPU was on an external graphics card.

------------------------------------

It is possible, although slightly unlikely, that the coprocessor driver will be part of the motherboard's drivers; thus it'll probably be available at the manufacturer's website. In my opinion of course.

Back