TechSpot

Missing file

By Jimborang
Jan 15, 2007
  1. Hi tech spot

I am a new poster and really blew it this time. I un-installed some programs that were no longer being used and when the last reboot came back, I have a blue screen with the message: "cannot reboot due to file being missing or corrupt. Please re-install <Windows Root> \system32\hal.dll "

I have no idea how to do this and need help. I cannot get past this message and I do not want to lose all my data by reformatting everything. I am not a progammer so I will need precise directions. Thanks for your help. I am sending this thread from my laptop.

Thanks again JIMBORANG

2. Hatrick

Hatrick TS Rookie Posts: 90

Hi Jimborang,

Have just come across your post. I think you will find the answer if you google:-

"Repairing Windows in Eight Commands: At A Glance". It deals specifically with your problem.

Let us know how it goes - may be useful to others.

Good luck.

3. tomrca

tomrca TS Rookie Posts: 1,000

you can go HERE and get the missing dll file, if thats all it is. see if that will fix it

4. Jimborang

Jimborang TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks

Wow guys,

Thanks for the follow-up. I hadn't heard from anyone so I ended up reinstalling the operating system and starting all over. I only wish I could have gotten this sooner. Perfect answer and would have saved me hours. Thanks any way Techspot comes thru again

JIM

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.