Missing Gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfersaiyan

hey fellas ..

i've just bought a 1tb external and i've offloaded all my stuff so i can have my hard drive free of clutter and 'sanitise' it a bit .. he he

anyhoo.. when i look at my main hard drive, my C drive, it says that i have used almsot 26gb, but when i tot up my files and OS i can only get up to around 20 at most.. so where has the other 6gig gone?

any ideas on where i should start looking?

i run xp pro (performance edition v5) and when i check the properties of the windows folder it only comes up with around 1.2gig, and when i look up documents and settings (which covers me and my other user (my missus)) that only accounts for about 18gig, of which 16.6 is my music.

baffled.
surfersaiyan.

Does your XP Pro come with Service Pack 2? Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 3?

Have your run a full defragmentation of the drive?

The problem likely lies with the methods you used to "offload" and "sanitise" the drive.

thanks for the reply raybay..

the way i offloaded my files and sanitised the drive was simply to copy all my important files across from my C drive to my external drive, delete the originals and then hit C drive with tracks eraser to clean up all the leftovers and of course to clean the free space too.

i just wonder if theres something of a large-ish size lurking somewhere that tracks eraser hasnt picked up.. a temp folder or something.

i've searched for files over a given size but the results are files i can account for.

No, it is merely wasted space. There are various software programs that will clean up the partition and establish better results... but I don't remember what and don't have time at the moment to look them up.

Using MS Windows tools to explore your disk?
  • They only give size info for files and folders you have rights to access! (And being an Admin doesn't give you rights to everything)
  • Use Explorer and look at C: Note the free space reported
  • Now look at C: again from DOS. Click Start->Run, enter
    Code:
    [B]cmd[/B]
    then
    Code:
    [B]dir c:[/B]
    See a difference? ;)
Try looking at your drive from Windows using this

PAGEFILE.SYS = 1.9gb. outrageous.

i used CCleaner and a couple of other utilities and managed to scrape back a little bit of space but there was still around 2gb of confusion.

so then i used JDiskReport and it came up almost straight away.

thanx again raybay and especially kimsland.

so now would i just reduce the size of my pagefile? as per:

Reduce Page File Space

Start-->Run--> control sysdm.cpl,,3
Click on "Settings" button (Performance settings)
Click on "Advanced" Tab
Click on "Change" button
Set the Min and Max to 1500 (ie the same)
Apply Ok Ok
Restart​

and how will that affect my performance?

It may or may not affect your performance
But my concern was that this is one area that takes up space, and user are (or maybe) un-aware of it

ok, ta kims. i might just give it a crack and see what happens.

i suppose the point of this exercise was to find out exactly what is being used on my disk, since i wanted to offload the bulk and have my system 'clean.'

now i know exactly which space is being taken up by what.

i have 1.23gb worth of RAM stix in my machine so maybe i dont really need much pagefile space.

yeah, after i used Ccleaner and defragged it, its now sitting on 22.9 according to JDiskReport and its all accounted for including the pagefile.

18gb of music, 1.2gb for windows, program files at around 1.5gb and a 1.9gb pagefile and a little bit of 'other' so it all adds up just about right.

i tried to post a pic of the screenshot of JDiskReport but my version of windows doesnt have paint! (to make the file).

i do have the RAM set up as you suspected and i know i should buy another 1gb, just lazy. i know that for my 4yr old Tosh-Sat it would probably give it a welcome breath of fresh air.

its just getting the time and inclination to find the right one at the right price. i did it before so damn straight i can do it again

cheers kims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back