TechSpot

Missing hard drive space after restoring laptop to factory settings

By festa89
Dec 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi,

Restored laptop (Acer Aspire 5735, OS Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit) to factory settings a few months ago and noticed that there was a lot of space being used up on C: drive even though I hadn't started installing programs and putting files back on to laptop.

Used SpaceSniffer to see where all the space was being used up and it only found the C: drive to have size of 38.1GB even though it should have 69.6GB. Also ran WinDirStat and that also said C: drive had size 38.1GB.

Any suggestions on why there seems to be 31.5GB missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    thanks!

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,946   +167

"it should have 69.6GB"...
    Is the drive 80GB unformatted? Did you format the drive when starting the restore? This is known as a "destructive" restore. If you didn't, it is possible that the old Vista files are still on the drive, along with the new files, taking up the space

3. Buckshot420

Buckshot420 TS Enthusiast Posts: 467

Is the drive partitioned? Do you have D: for backup maybe?

4. Tmagic650

Good thought Buckshot420,
    there may be a partition for the restore files

5. festa89

festa89 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for gettin back to me.

I don't think I did format the drive when I did the restore. I thought it may be the old Vista files taking up the space but I don't seem to be able to find a windows.old folder on the C: drive. Is there another folder I should be looking for?

6. Tmagic650

Go into Computer and tell us how many drives (C,D, E, F and such) you see

7. festa89

Two drives. C and D

8. Tmagic650

Where C is the hard drive and D is the CD/DVD drive? You might try doing the restore again, but this may be impossible now because you see no recovery partition

9. Buckshot420

2 hard drives? Or 2 drives period? Is C: a HDD and D: a HDD? Or is it as Tmagic described?

10. festa89

Sorry i meant two hard drives so C and D are hard drives

11. Buckshot420

The HDD is partitioned. You would add the size of both to get your HDD size. You really should do a reformat. Backup your drivers and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows. You will be pleasantly surprised with the outcome if you have not done this recently.

12. festa89

Forgot to reply

Just a quick update for you guys. Sorry its late. I did what Buckshot420 suggested. Computer is performing really well now. That format was definitely needed. Thanks for your help

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.