Missing MSVCP71.dll

By Meilei
Nov 2, 2008
  1. Just a few minutes ago, after loading up Windows, I received this error message that said:

"reader_sl.exe - Unable To Locate Component
    This application has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

The only thing I can think of that could have caused this were the programs I has uninstalled yesterday. On the top of my head, I remembered uninstalling Limewire, Kal Online (online game), and a training course that I was taking.

Of course, I doubt it could be the game or Limewire that had anything to do with this since I had uninstalled and reinstalled these programs once or twice before without this problem occurring. I also don't think it's the training course since I remembered uninstalling and reinstalling it after the self-test in the program refused to respond when selecting answers to the questions.

Can someone help me with this problem, please?
  2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

3. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

Did you install Adobe Reader recently? it's that or something like it.

I couldn't help but notice you unistalled Limewire. That's a good start but if you were using it then your computer has spyware on it, no question about it. Any of those peer-to-peer filesharing networks are rampant with spyware. And spyware can cause all kinds of different problems. If you weren't checking for spyware, here's what I recommend (all are available at the Download section at this site):

1) AVG 8
    2) Ad-Aware 2008
    3) Spybot Search & Destroy

Repost with results.

-- Andy
  4. Meilei

Meilei TS Rookie Topic Starter

I haven't installed Adobe Reader reccently.

I don't have AVG, but I do used NOD32 and Spybot Search and Destroy.

After reading your post, I did a Spybot scan for spyware. I found 1 item and removed it. I ran an anti-virus scan only 2 or 3 days ago.

What should I do now?

I went to the link that CCT provided, but I don't know if I should try to download and replace the missing file. After all, I have no experience in this type of problem, and I'm not sure what to do after I download the file.

Also, how do I know if it is safe to download this sort of file over the Internet?
  5. almcneil

almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

But do yo have Adobe Reader installed? Something else may have corrupted the DLL. Uninstalling Adobe Reader and re-installing should fix the problem. Click here.

-- Andy
  6. Meilei

Meilei TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yay, it worked! I guess that's all I needed to do to get it fixed.

Thank you so much! And great job!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.