Missing network controller and local area connection

Hey guys,

My internet provider has just recently been switched to Time Warner Cable. They came by and hooked everything up to my desktop and my internet worked for that day. The next day, I had to call technical support and road runner services because my computer says I'm connected, but I'm not sending nor receiving any packets.

Road Runner took me through Device Manager where I noticed a big yellow question mark near Other Devices/Network Controller.

Also, after going through my Network Connections; there's no Local Area Connection listed. The techs responded that they couldn't help me unless I fixed my computer software.

I have already tried going through Computer Management and checking Plug And Play Services & RPC Services.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated!

(( I'm currently working off of my laptop because I can't get online with my desktop. Any requested information would just be done by my usb flash drive. ))

Thank you so much for your time!

Open device manager. Uninstall those device with ? on them. Reinstall drivers for your network adapter.

What devices are listed under network adapter?

I attempted to uninstall the network controller. The computer does say "Found new hardware" and does attempt to reinstall them. However, it gives the option to connect to the internet in order to install the hardware or not this time. My desktop can't connect in the first place, so it won't or "can't" install the hardware.

Under my network adapters, there's only:
"1394 Net Adapter"

Thanks so much for getting back to me :)

Is your network device built-in with the motherboard or an add-in (pci) card? If it is built-in, the cd/dvd that came with your motherboard should have the necessary drivers. If it is add-in, try removing/replacing the network card (sometimes this fixes the problem, hopefully it will auto-install the drivers after restart). Make note of the model and brand of the device, search for drivers, download and install.

Back