missing ntfs files when adding harddrive to a newer pc

By MzDonna
Jun 19, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I was given a pc which is an upgrade from my previous system . when I tried to install my harddrive into it .. I get as far as the *bar* at the bottom of the screen then I get an error .. system32 ntfs files missing or corrupt.. you can repair this by ... well my main problem is the harddrive use to sit in a Dell computer and this system is not . so all I have is the XP reinstallation CD however it says it is to reinstall the operatiing system not to reinstall programs or drivers .. I also have a ResourceCD for reinstalling device drivers etc.. however I was informed that I can not use this as my pc is no longer a Dell :( anyone have any idea what I can do ?? I have over 13 gig of information on my harddrive that I cant lose !! pleaseeeee help me someone :confused: :(
  2. Grok451

Grok451 Newcomer, in training Posts: 122

Buy a new hard drive to put into your "new" pc and install XP to that drive. (Hard drives are pretty cheap these days) Then add your old drive as a secondary drive to get the data off of it.

Chances are that you'd have a lot of problems trying to use your Dell hard drive in the new pc as the boot/system volume.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.