missing ntfs files when adding harddrive to a newer pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was given a pc which is an upgrade from my previous system . when I tried to install my harddrive into it .. I get as far as the *bar* at the bottom of the screen then I get an error .. system32 ntfs files missing or corrupt.. you can repair this by ... well my main problem is the harddrive use to sit in a Dell computer and this system is not . so all I have is the XP reinstallation CD however it says it is to reinstall the operatiing system not to reinstall programs or drivers .. I also have a ResourceCD for reinstalling device drivers etc.. however I was informed that I can not use this as my pc is no longer a Dell :( anyone have any idea what I can do ?? I have over 13 gig of information on my harddrive that I cant lose !! pleaseeeee help me someone :confused: :(

Buy a new hard drive to put into your "new" pc and install XP to that drive. (Hard drives are pretty cheap these days) Then add your old drive as a secondary drive to get the data off of it.

Chances are that you'd have a lot of problems trying to use your Dell hard drive in the new pc as the boot/system volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back