Missing RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheryllt

I have the Asus Rampage II MOBO which allows up to 12 GB of triple channel RAM. I had 6 2GB Chips of OCZ Platinum installed.

A few days ago My computer's CPU fan Stopped working and the emergency alarm went off. I was able to fix that by installing the stock fan my CPU came with.

When I booted it back up however In bios and in windows it only displays that I have 8GB of RAM. I tried reinstalling them to make sure they were set right and tried moving them around but still only 8GB.

Is there anything I can do to get them working? Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help.

Try running Bios defaults

This settings area can be called:
  • Bios Setup
  • CMOS Settings
  • System Setup
  • even just Setup
You can enter it by pressing the keyboard key that is displayed on your screen when first turning on your computer
Its sometimes:
  • A Fn Button like F1, or F2, or F10 or some other Fn key
  • DEL key
  • (whatever the computer states on screen when you first turn on your computer)
Once in Bios Setup, locate Setup Defaults (sometimes called Optimized Defaults)
Apply it, then Save and Exit Bios Settings (which is usually F10, but it will tell you in the Bios Settings screen)

If that doesn't help try 1 Ram card at a time, seeing if you first get 2Gig on your first Ram card
Continue on (shutting down each time) until you find the possible Ram at fault

I set everything to default but sill only displayed 8GB, so I did it 1 card at a time. All the RAM cards work, its the last 2 slots for RAM that are not reading anything. With or without the cards in the last 2 slots it still says 8GB.

Is there anything I can do to get the last 2 slots working? I didn't change anything after I put the new CPU fan in.

Using high compressed air you could blow out the Ram channels
By the way, do you happen to have warranty on that new board ;) ;)

I'll try the compressed air when I stop by an office store next. As for the warranty I didn't get an extended one, maybe the manufacturers warranty is still good. I'll have to look for it.

Thanks for the help.

if they overheated there's a good chance they're fried. run memtest 86+ on each stick to check them. run for 7 passes

RE: Kimslands suggestion on "...Using high compressed air you could blow out the Ram channels...," you need treated compressed air such as Dust-Off or other canned air... as compressed air from a compressor will too frequently induce terribly destructive static electricity into the system. We have seen huge numbers of destroyed computer from untreated compressed air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back