May 31, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whenever I start up my computer, i get an error message,

"ERROR LOADING WINMPA32.ROM....THE SPECIFIED MODULE COULD NOT BE FOUND"

How do i resolve the issue:confused:
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,108   +21

Blaze, can you make sure you are giving us the exact spelling because there is absolutely nothing on the whole internet concerning WINMPA32.ROM.
  3. seanc

seanc Newcomer, in training Posts: 284

Do you mean WINMAP32.EXE? That seems to be Malware related...
  4. Route44

Exactly; which is why I want to make sure Blaze you have copied it down correctly.

There is a strong possibility you are infected.
  5. Blazeduke

Blazeduke Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 19

no......i was looking at the message when i did was typing it down :S
  6. Route44

Run your security scans. What is your antivirus, etc.? Can you at least boot into Safe Mode?
  7. Blazeduke

Blazeduke Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 19

my anitvirus picks nothing up (symantec endpoint protection) i can boot into safe mode. It was just something that showed up one day out of the blue.
  8. Route44

Blaze, we suggest you go to the Virus and Malware Removal forum, read the Updated 8 Step sticky and follow the instructions as given.

When you finish post there with required logs. You'll get excellent help there.

I am not saying this is your issue but you could also be deeply infected. We are trying to be proactive.

* Also, you might want to see if a firmware upgrade for your DVD drive might help.
  9. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,011   +218

check the file association *.ROM is invoking what???
  10. vasudeven2

vasudeven2 Newcomer, in training

wineen32.rom missing

similarly i am also having the problem that wineen32.rom missing when i system loged in,actually before it was shoein winnux32.rom missing now its showing different,how can i remove this bug friends???
  11. CAMusing

CAMusing TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 328

Go to the Virus and Malware Removal Forum and be sure to read the instructions.
  12. vannaen

vannaen Newcomer, in training

Missing ROM files

Do a system restore to when your computer last worked, this will solve any file problems.
  13. jobeard

not likely! Restoring a System Restore Point is about drivers and settings. A full HD restore *may* do that, but only if it first wipes the disk to eleminate files that are not present in the restore.image

14. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,267   +149

For the "what it's worth" department... and a start of some info i found about ROM files

1. I searched for and found 43 *.ROM files on my Win 7 machine

2. CtlPanel->Default Programs->File Associations did NOT define/associate the .ROM extension with anything (which i think implies it's not intended to be invoked by clicking it. But rather is a data file for something that's not likely intended as a user program

3. Which seems to be consistent with .ROM files appearing (i.e. my guess) to be data files containing firmware (and firmware needed data?) for your BIOS and/or machine and/or other hardware

Anyway, just a guess... if anyone learns more or different please share!! (now i'm reall curious to know all about .ROM files :) )
  15. jobeard

Your guess is what I would assume too ...
  16. vasudeven2

vasudeven2 Newcomer, in training

problem sloved

just use malwarebytes program,it removed my .rom missing file msg
  17. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,267   +149

Thanks for that post/update.... :)

Another reminder that malware might try to hide in what otherwise looks like a normal file name and extension
  18. Mabenbkaoe

Mabenbkaoe Newcomer, in training

Missing ROM files

I recently reinstalled xp now i need to reinstall my motherboard drivers i have a k7s5a pro and have downloaded the ROM file.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.