zag1402

hi just have a quick one for you
my wife has windows xp it is sp-3 and about 3 - 4 days ago
we lost the windows firewall now it will not let me switch it back on

1 do i need it if i have a good virus protection

2 if i do what can i do to get it working for her

tried going to the firewall icon in control panel but will not let me in
so can you help me asap

The Windows firewall in XP is extremely poor. I suggest Online Armor. I run it in my two PCs and my laptop. My main rig has the $ version and the other two run the free version.

The free version works great and is real time protection. The only thing you need to get used to is that this software will "learn" your habits and sometimes when you want to install something or access something online it will warn you first with pop-up windows asking you what it should do next. The community is very active and helpful including the Online Armor owner Mike Nash and his crew. He really listens to the Online Armor customers. When I first purchased a license two years ago I was having trouble and he personally helped me through until it was resolved.

My second PC runs the free version of SuperantiSpyware + free OA + free Avast antivirus and all with real time protection.

Another firewall you might want to consider is the free Comodo. it too is excellent and it also has an actiove community.

* Scan for infections before you proceed.

Re - missing windows firewall

thanks Route 44 you're a legend! Have been online downloaded and installed online armour - love the interface - running great! Just in the middle of installing AVG Spyware, already had Avast Premium. :)

are you sure it is lost? SP3 moved the FW from visability in the Control Panel
to a setting in Windows Security.

and yes, a 3rd party bidirectional FW is much better in XP.

are you sure it is lost? SP3 moved the FW from visability in the Control Panel
to a setting in Windows Security

@jobeard
Uh Oh. If you're in classic view, you should see a Control Panel->Windows Firewall entry for XP SP3. If you're not, might be another problematic symptom of your SP3 install???

And as a technical tidbit to all... Ever notice that Windows Firewall occasionally manages to turn itself back on (even after you've turned it off)??? Well, i once discovered (at least for XP) anytime you run XP's Network Setup Wizard (to setup a home or small office network) the Wizard turns Windows firewall back on (even if you;re running a 3rd party FW!)

thanks guys great input, I can see FW manager in control panel, but now I have 3rd party FW - online Armour - seems to all be running fine and holding back the bad guys :)

Is the XP firewall disabled? If not do so otherwise you'll have conflicys with OA.

By the way, glad it is working for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back