Missing windows system tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluXDragon

This happened a long time ago.

Some people from our computer company came to fix our router connections, and while they weren't even able to set my computer up with the internet (We eventually found out my gateway was the same as my IP adress), they managed to make my system tray dissapear. It's been a few years and we havn't managed to fix it. But recently there's some new software and stuff like that which require it. I'm used to not having it, I have to use the task manager to close certain things. But I need it now, and I figured this was the place to ask. lol.

So yeah, you get the task bar, where all the minimized windows sit, there's a blank space that looks like the task bar when nothing is using it, and then you get my clock. Wondering if anyone knows what's going on.

I'm not calling that ***** computer company because they don't know jack so i'll ignore anyone giving me that advice.

It said

"Information in C:\Document.......\Restoretaskbar.reg has been successfully entered into the registry."

But nothing's happened. Do I have to restart my computer or something?

Edit: Never mind that. I got bored and reset my computer while I was waiting, got nothing.

Sorry for the delay, presently due to the board going through some new Server updates and changes, I am not receiving any email replies whatsoever. Therefore I need to manually check all threads myself, which takes a lot of time (and it is possible for me to miss posts, sadly.

Anyway, on the second restart it should have worked
Did it?

No it didn't.

I heard from a friend that the task manager has something to do with it. See, something has eaten away at my task manager.

I have attatched a picture of it, and clipped off the rest of my desktop from the picture for size reasons.

Although this thread aims at the system tray, even if this doesn't effect it at all, I'll be tackling the task manager eventually anyway. Maybe I should have done that one first.

But yeah, If the system tray is linked to my task manager in any way, as he said, I suppose I'll need that fixed too.

Attachments

• Task-man-pic.jpg
    Task-man-pic.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 7
Lol

Just double click the area right next to the End Task button

Note: In Performance and Networking Tabs, just double click on the black area.

Is that all you wanted?

there's a blank space that looks like the task bar when nothing is using it, and then you get my clock
Maybe you should attach a pic for that too, because it sounds like it's normal (?)

Sorry for the late reply.

I'd thought of that, but I have a slow computer and it took me almost 10 minutes to take this picture and save it... lol...

But yeah, here it is.

Attachments

• Clock.bmp
    17.7 KB · Views: 8
I think I've got it

Right click on the blank TaskBar, you should notice a tick on "Lock the Taskbar"
Just single (left button now) click on that

You will then notice a vertical bar come up, probably near the right side (still on the TaskBar)
You can move your mouse over that bar, and get this symbol <->
Now, you either drag (hold down left mouse button on symbol) this bar all the way left, or right (it depends on where it came from)
Mine is right next to the Start button

After minimizing opened windows, and confirming all's ok
You can then right click on the blank TaskBar, and click on: "Lock the Taskbar"

Did that work?

Nah. I've already toyed around with the taskbar before anyway.

There was no vertical bar on the right side.
I only had the horizontal one that raises and lowers the taskbar,
And the two verticals on the left that change the size of the section where you get the shortcuts.
All I managed to do was flip the shortcuts to the right side and back.

Go to Control Panel-->Display-->Themes (which is the first tab)
Drop down the arrow and select Windows Classic
Apply-->Ok

How about now?

Well back to the point, you know that blank space thing you're saying?
Well the pic still looks absolutely normal (clock, with no icons left of clock<-Normal)

I'm actually still not sure what you mean
Maybe describe it really basically
ie You see the clock
If you go left (or up?) a little
You'll see ?? ( everything looks normal)

No, well, It's all in that earlier picture anyway.

You get the clock, and the system tray is meant to be right next to it. But it's not. It's just not there.

I don't know where you got "above" from. lol. To the left of the clock, there's just the task bar where the system tray is SUPPOSED to be.

Here, just see for yourself. Here's a picture of my entire task bar.

Attachments

• Task-bar.jpg
    Task-bar.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 5
Do you mean like where's the pic for the sound, and where's the pic for the network and things like that?
Because you can just enable icons if you like

lol
Can't believe it, is that what you meant (don't answer that!)

Anyway, in Control Panel under Sounds and Audio, you'll see a box that says place an icon (please tick that box) Apply Ok, all the rest!

Also open Network Connections in Control Panel again
Double click on your Network adaptor
Properties
Show icon, blah blah blah !

And Antivirus
Well that depends do you have Antivirus installed?
That shouldn't have an icon don't show box though.

They were all ticked. And I expected that.

It's not like the computer company would go through my Notification Area (Found out its official name, lol) and untick everything.

The entire thing is missing, Not just the icons inside it.

ok

I now have got the problem worked out
You'll have to give m time to work out the registry thing to do
By the way, confirm you are an Administrator (privlidged I mean) accout. By going to users in control panel
And reply back

I won't have an answer until later on , because I must go out
Sorry, but I'll work it out

Already am I assume.
An educated guess based on how there is only one account (Not including "Guest") and it said Administrative account beneath it. lol.

And I hope you do have it figured.
I can wait. I've already been waiting two years. lol.

Windows XP
Start --> Run --> Regedit
Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ TrayNotify
Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values.
Open Task Manager, click Processes tab, click Explorer.exe, then click End Process.
Still in Task Manager, click File, click New Task, type explorer, then click OK

For Vista:
Click here

Reply back with result :)

Sadly, nothing.

I was all ecstatic because it looked all complicated and like it would actually do something, but, sadly, nothing.

Uninstall your Antivirus (or any other spyware resident protection application)
Actually if you have a 3rd party firewall (ie not windows firewall) uninstall that too

Please do this. I have read a lot !
I was going to post to do this as well, but I thought the above would suffice

Once removed, go back to Network connections, untick the show icon box, click apply, then re-tick the box, and then click apply.

There is one more option, but I'll leave that for later (seeming this will work :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back