TechSpot

Mixing XP hard drives with Windows 7 hard drives

By circusboy01
Apr 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. This is mostly just a hypothetical question. Unless I decide to do it some day.
    I have an old E-Machine, I guess about 6 or 7 years old with XP It's not working now
    Don't remember what was wrong with it. But it was about a $300.00 repair
    I also have a Lenozo Less than a year old with Windows 7. Can I put the E-machines Hard Drive In my Lenovo, along with the Hard Drive it already has? I don't need it for extra Hard Drive space. My Lenovo Hard Drive is 1 TB. There is just a lot of music on the old Hard Drive I'd like to have again. I've got about 1000 song I downloaded from Kazaa ( I think that's how you spelled it.),. and I worked hard to get them. I was using Dial up ;-) Thinks in advance for any help
    I just thought with a 1tb Hard Drive. Would they even bother making a slot for another Hard Drive?

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

Is your (presumably) Lenovo a laptop? If so, it is doubtful that it has 2 hard drive bays. Even if it did, isn't your e-machine a desktop? Desktop hard drives are 3.5" and thick, laptop/notebook hard drives are 2.5" and thin. So it wouldn't fit.

Another hurdle is that your e-machine hard drive is likely an IDE/PATA interface, so you'll end up paying more for a way to hook it up to a laptop. If its a SATA drive, I recommend buying a hard drive dock.

3. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 723   +51

Not necessary. Lenovo also offers desktops. Problem is, the OP hasn't given any specs or model numbers, so your point is right in a sense.

4. SNGX1275

Actually, it probably is a desktop. I don't think you could get a 1TB notebook drive a year ago.

So, I guess the answer is yes. But if the old drive isn't SATA you'll probably have to buy a PCI IDE controller.

5. circusboy01

circusboy01 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 799   +16

My Lenovo is a desk top as is my e-machine.

6. SNGX1275

Is the old drive the old big ribbon PATA/IDE interface or SATA. If its SATA it will hook right up no problem. If it is PATA you will have to buy a PCI IDE controller card or buy an old external enclosure that will accept PATA/IDE drives.

7. circusboy01

If the old Harddrive, in the E-macxhine, is a Sata it will hook up. I'm guessing that means Sata is what I have in my Lenovo. If the Harddrive in the E-machine is a Pata and not a Sata. I should be able to tell just by comparing it to the one in the Lenovo. Right?
    Thanks for your help. Both of you.

8. SNGX1275

Yes. SATA is a power cable and a data cable that are both flat and 'solid'. IDE/PATA will have a power cable that is 4 individual wires ran to a plastic plug, and the data will likely be either a wide and flat 80 pin ribbon or it will be those same 80 pins (wide) scrunched down into some rubber tubing that is fairly thick, maybe .25-.5 inches.

9. circusboy01

Thank you for all your great help. Now all I have to do is remember where I put my old E-Machine:D

10. Zen

Zen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 861   +45

Even though this matter appears to be resolved and circusboy01 is thankful and all, I just wanted to pop in real quick and help by pointing two things out, due to some possible earlier confusion!

I.D.E. Cable
    [​IMG]

SATA Cable
    [​IMG]
    Now there shouldn't be any guess work here, now hopefully circusboy01 will know what he's playing with!

11. SNGX1275

Thanks Zen. I didn't put the effort into finding links, I just tried to describe them, I'm glad you linked pics though because that should eliminate any confusion.

12. Zen

Zen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 861   +45

No problem buddy, glad to be of some assistance here! ;)

13. circusboy01

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I have it figured out. But this will eliminate any guess work. Thanks again. ;-)