MK7AV Underclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I've hit my limit here... I'm thinking my mobo may just be bad or dying or something.

I have an Amptron IS-MK7AV board (I know, no flames needed, I didn't know much when I bought it). The problem is, my CPU has suddenly just started to overheat constantly. Last night I smelled the telltale stench of something going wrong, so I pulled the case off and the power supply (which must be done to get to the CPU).

Lo and Behold! There was dust everywhere and it looked like all the arctic thermol had been burnt up. So I sprayed air in there until no dust remained, wiped off each fan blade meticulously, and put new compound on the CPU. After putting it all back together though, the CPU still somehow scorched up to over 70*C before Windows even finished loading.

This just started happening, along with what I think may be an IDE Controller failure. My burner started just flashing endlessly at the same time as the CPU issues arose.

I've gone into the BIOS and underclocked as far as I can, still having temp probs, ideas?

Too much power? Should I just take out everything I don't need and try it (don't wanna cause it's in an awkward spot to tinker with)?

AMD Thunderbird 1Ghz
IS-MK7AV Motherboard
Plextor 40/12/40a
Kingston PC133 256MB (x2)
Flashed the BIOS as far as I can
All firmware updated
Peeved!!!

You are on the right track, but I would think it is probably an issue with capacitors not working properly. How old is the board? It could also be the power supply providing too much power. It is going to be a power issue of some sort. Also check for shorts, such as a screw behind the motherboard.

Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back