MKV to AVI conversion help - inexperienced

Hello,

I've been looking for .mkv-to-.avi conversion software for compatible playback on my PS3. I've already tried a few freewares but they seem to be lacking in retaining the original file's quality.

Now, I don't know too much about the optimal audio/video-codecs aspect of the conversion process, so if someone could give me a few pointers on that, that'd be great.

Mainly though, I'd like to know which software (preferably free) is the best for the job.

Thanks.

Ugh, I absolutely CANNOT STAND mkv files and would very much like to crucify the fools who've been using them. Check into MediaCoder, free open source software capable of just about any conversion.First thing I do if I come across mkv's is immediately convert them into h264 mp4s.

Most of the time those mkvs are h.264 encoded. mkvs have the advantage of being able to have stuff like subtitles included all in 1 container.

I don't know what the PS3 needs, but Handbrake is a pretty good free transcoder.

Very true SNGX, I used to use handbrake... can't remember what caused me to move on. From MediaCoder or VLC you can tell if it is h264 and simply demux the video track and then convert audio if necessary... I do this because the Xbox360 cannot play mkv and can only play certain audio/video combinations of mp4's, I think the audio has to be AAC and the whole file under a certain bitrate (mp4 has the highest compared to others, remember we're talking about MS's limitations set forth on the Xbox console in my case.)

Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out both Handbrake and MediaCoder.

I'm actually running Handbrake now, but it looks like its main focus is the .m4v file format for Apple products.

Any others are greatly appreciated as well. Keep em comin' :]

The following are supported formats for the PS3:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following types of files can be played under (Video).
Memory Stick Video Format
- MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
- MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
MP4 file format
- H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
MPEG-2 TS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3(Dolby Digital), AAC LC)
MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
AVI
- Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
- Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
DivX
WMV
- VC-1(WMA Standard V2)

Never needed to work with .mkv types, but I do convert .flv to mp4 (AAC audio) for mobile phone playback. I use 'Format Factory', which has many options, and qualities to choose from. It does include .mkv ,.avi, .wmv, .mp4 and others.

http://format-factory.en.softonic.com/

As it mentions on the download page, the program works in a reverse way to most Windows programs, in that you choose the type of file you want to convert to first, 'All to (eg .avi) , then the quality you want from a drop down list. Then last you choose your file that you need converting. It appears in a list, you click 'start' and it shows a progress bar. Have used it here for several years, has always worked for me.

Back