TechSpot

Mobile payments to top $1 billion in the US this year

By Shawn Knight
Jul 12, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Mobile payments in the US are forecasted to surpass $1 billion by the end of the year according to market research firm eMarketer. Spending will more than double compared to last year’s $539 million despite the fact that mobile wallets...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,068   +704

I've never really understood the attraction to paying with a smartphone using NFC (near field communication) because taking my phone out to swipe isn't really much different than taking my card out to swipe. And NFC would have to be really integrated into points of sale before I'm comfortable not carrying the card around.

But... when I pay with a card I get this.
    "Debit or Credit?" --- push Debit
    "Enter Pin" - push 5 buttons
    "Do you want cash back?" - Push 'No'
    "Do you want it all on the card?" - Push Yes.
    And what happens far more often than it should is I start putting bags in my cart or something and miss the last question and the checker has to remind me and then I'm 'That Guy' who's holding up the line.

If paying with NFC can get rid of all that BS, then I'm all for it...
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,030   +738

I've never had a problem with the way I've paid for anything in the past so I'm not about to change. If it's not broken, don't break it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.