TechSpot

Mobo fan failed

By 13ishop
Sep 19, 2008
  1. My MSI-K8N Neo4 mobo has a fan to the right of the pci slots and it has stopped running. Is there a way to remedy this or at least replace the fan as opposed to buying a new mobo?

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Yes you can replace the fan

But confirm all plugs are secure first, and also vacuum out all dust too (power out)

3. 13ishop

13ishop TS Rookie Topic Starter

First thing i did was blow the dust out to see if the fan was clogged but it isn't. How would u confirm the connectivity of the plugs?

4. kimsland

[​IMG]

You see that sticker on the fan
    If you peel it back, and take the grommit out
    You can put a little greese down there, which may help

Also I'm wondering if this is thermostatically controlled (turns on only when hot)

5. 13ishop

I'm not sure if it does that or not. I seemed to notice it turning on at start up, but that could be a coincidence. I am not sure how to find out whether or not the fan is thermostatic.

6. 13ishop

There is nothing under the sticker it's just a decal. How would I find out whether or not the fan is thermostatic?

7. kimsland

You may need to read the manual

8. 13ishop

I have been at it for a bit now. Would the mobo fan be referred to as a northbridge chipset fan?

9. kimsland

Sorry here's the official PDF manual

10. 13ishop

I'm sorry to be such a newb when it comes to hardware but I really don't know where to look and thanks for trying.

11. kimsland

I'm thinking it is thermostatically controlled
    I suppose you could check the temps in CMOS
    But the real test is to leave it on and wait to see if it starts, when things get a bit warm

12. 13ishop

I touched the fan and it was hot enough to burn. Are you suggesting I let it get hot or do something to make it get hot? Wouldn't it be better to run some type of diagnostic?

13. kimsland

14. 13ishop

I did download speedfan and will configure it and see what it says. I'm pretty sure that the fan runs constantly if it is working because when I touch the fan it tries to spin but doesn't work. Also, I don't know how to use CMOS to check my temp values. When I looked at CMOS it didn't say anything about temp levels. It is getting late so thanks for any help and if someone can tell me how to tell if its a problem with the fan or something else the information would be appreciated.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.