TechSpot

Mobo for X2 550 and HD 4850

By jithint
Aug 18, 2009
  1. I'm getting a new PC. I decided on an AMD Phenom II X2 550 for CPU and HD 4850 512 MB for GPU. Please suggest an AM2+ motherboard. I don't plan to go X-fire and won't be doing much overclocking. It should support two IDE/PATA drives. My budget is $100. Will 4 GB 800MHz DDR2 be enough? I read in ASUS's website that Windows XP does not recognize more than 3GB RAM. Is it right?

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Windows XP will recognize 3 GB in some machines, and 3.5 GB of the 4 GB installed in a few others.
    Any board designed for the AMD will work well if made by ASUS, Gagabyte, MSI, Biostar, ECS Elitegroup...
    We like the ASUS M4A78 or ASUS M4A785TD, MSI 770-C45, and Elitegroup ECS GF8200A or A785GM-M which all slide under your $100 limit.

3. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,286   +24

The GA-MA770-UD3 is a great board, as is the GA-MA785G-UD3H. Both fit your budget, and will work splendidly with your current parts.

raybay's recommendations are excellent, save for the ECS boards, which I have seen a lot of problems with, which biases my opinion against them.

5. jithint

jithint TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks a lot for the replies guys.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.