Mobo now making an annoying squealing sound, what did I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torrenter

Ok, so my PC is practically Brand New. Here's the parts:

Mobo: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
CPU: i7 920
CPU Cooler: Akasa Nero S
RAM: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2GB) 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24 Platinum Series
GPU: ASUS HD5870 v2 1GB
HDD: Samsung F3 1TB
PSU: Seasonic X-650
ODD: Samsung SH-B083L
Case: Antec 902

This rig is a month old and I've just noticed the mobo making a squealing sound, or is it the chipset, northbridge or processor? It's right from that area. And I can't figure out if it's been happening since day one, or just recently, but the PC's on the desk right next to my ear. I'm sure I would have heard it like this before.

It starts to squeal if I launch iTunes/Safari/Chrome, and on some websites.

The key thing I think is that I recently kicked the socket switch under my desk, whilst watching a movie and a couple of weird things happened, when I turned it back on.

Firstly, Gigabyte's DES turned off, and when I turned it back on in Windows, the application just started to crash.
Then ATi's Display Driver, started to crash over the next few days, on occasion when surfing. Device Manager currently reports that Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for the GPU.
Then some of the USB ports stopped responding, especially on the Front Panel, now they seem to work again.
I also get feedback through the Audio ports on the Front Panel whether listening to music or not. Maybe that was the case from day one, I'm not sure. I recently installed the BD-ROM drive at the top of the case (which is right next to the Front Panel cables). I don't get this feedback when listening through my 2.1 speaker system's volume control (on my desk).

Can anyone identify why these things are happening, and how I can fix them?

Appreciate the help.

Take a wooden stick or a pencil eraser and gently push on the heat-sinks around the CPU while the PC is running. See if you can affect the annoying sound that way, and discover it's source

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back