Mobo or PSU??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm building a computer right now for my apartment. It's got an ASUS A8V Deluxe Mobo, AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 939 Pin, 1.5GB Kingston PC3200 RAM, 200GB SATA HD, and so on.. All the parts are brand new, PSU is MGE Vigor 450 Watt. I am not sure if I didn't hook the speaker up right to it or not. But when I power it on there are no POST Beeps. Any ideas?

jmoulton1 said:
I'm building a computer right now for my apartment. It's got an ASUS A8V Deluxe Mobo, AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 939 Pin, 1.5GB Kingston PC3200 RAM, 200GB SATA HD, and so on.. All the parts are brand new, PSU is MGE Vigor 450 Watt. I am not sure if I didn't hook the speaker up right to it or not. But when I power it on there are no POST Beeps. Any ideas?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If when you try to boot your puter it boots up fine, then the chances are that you have not connected the pc speaker properly. Check your mobo manual for where to plug the connector in.

If however your puter isn`t booting up at all then you need to make sure that all components are properly seated and connected..

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

The motherboard Power LED comes on, all the fans spin, but there is no connection to the monitor. Such as when you turn a computer on it turns the monitor on from standby. This one doesnt. So the computer doesn't boot at all.

If the monitor was the problem the computer would still boot, just you wouldn't be able to see what it was doing. Does it boot, but you can't see it, or is it not booting at all?

From the specs, your PSU is too weak to even start up an AMD64 CPU.
Your +12v only has an output of 17Amp and an AMD64 requires about 24Amp to get off the ground!
Your PSU only has good looks, no good specs.
Exchange it for a more powerful one, such as from Enermax, look at this model:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-464&depa=0

If you want an Antec Neopower, make sure you get one that was made AFTER October 2004. Check the serial # for D0411... (would be 2004-11 = November) or later.

OT, if you got it fixed, I strongly suggest you chain the PC to somewhere and put a note "Tracking device is installed. Do not steal it" on it. You are not the only one who has the keys to the apt unit.

Ok,

I booted it up this morning and i hooked external speakers up to it. The A8V Deluxe has this POST speaker thing where it tells you whats wrong or whatever. The error message it said was System Failure to CPU Overclocking. So is it still my PSU???

akhilles said:
OT, if you got it fixed, I strongly suggest you chain the PC to somewhere and put a note "Tracking device is installed. Do not steal it" on it. You are not the only one who has the keys to the apt unit.

I`m sorry mate, but I haven`t got a clue as to what you`re talking about???

jmoulton1 said:
Ok,

I booted it up this morning and i hooked external speakers up to it. The A8V Deluxe has this POST speaker thing where it tells you whats wrong or whatever. The error message it said was System Failure to CPU Overclocking. So is it still my PSU???

Did you use thermal paste when you attatched the heatsink?

Also have you set the fsb to the correct mhz?

Could it be that the mobo is shorted to the case somewhere?

Regards Howard :confused:

Well if the motherboard wasnt grounded then the Power LED on my motherboard wouldnt be green it would be yellow. It's a retail heat sink and fan that came with the CPU, it already had thermal paste on it and yes the heatsink fan is spinning and its correctly on and snapped down.

Try taking out all the ram except for one stick, and see what happens.

If that doesn`t work then maybe you`ve got a bad mobo.

Regards Howard :suspiciou

I have the mobo down to a 256 stick out of one of my other computers. I contacted AMD and they said its a common occurence with A8V mobo's and told me a link to update the bios and it should work. but with the computer not booting up how could i update it??

Email ASUS techsupport and ask for a BIOS-chip with the latest BIOS on it, then swap the chips (provided Asus even answers you, LOL.
Alternatively, find someone with the same mobo, and update your chip in the other mobo.
I would still say your PSU is not strong enough.

I contacted AMD and they said that there is no power guidelines for Athlon 64. He said my PSU was fine and not to worry about that. They said it was the bios and it needed updated. I went to ASUS website and their newest BIOS update for my mobo was from like July 2004. Which I'd sure hope mine has a newer BIOS than that one. I'm just confused as to why the speech post says "System Failure Due To CPU Overclocking". Thanks for all your help people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back