Mobo upgrade/replacement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nando

Hi ,

I have an old emachine 4076 i am looking into replacing the faulty mobo to keep as a back up to my newer system -
i was planning just to reinstall XP using the original manufacturers disc but i've read this might prove difficult to authenticate with microsoft .
Is this absolutely the case despite the mobo needing to be replaced or might i get a break if i only install a similar model/brand ?
If so can anyone please recommend any mobo's ?
The original is -
Intel Desktop Board D102GGC2 ( 775)
Chipset ATI Radion Xpress 200 (+ i PCI slot )

Being an old mobo it seems pretty unlikely to find a direct replacement - so looks most probable that i will need to find an upgrade - the question is ...
-is there any chance an ugrade might get accepted by reinstall of XP , can i still find a mobo with the same/similar chipset or just go for a generally better/more modern mobo/pcu as i will have to invest in another OS ?
Also - as this is only intended as a backup i intended keeping as much of the old set up as possible to keep cost down , so reusing things like the recently purchased 2 x 1mb DDR 2 RAM (533mhz) - will i have to forget that or can i get a mobo/cpu compatible to this RAM ?

Any advice / recommendations appreciated .

Sorry , should have said the system has-
P4 processor , 3.06 Ghz /533 FSB
2 Gb DDR2 RAM (533)
Seagate Barracuda 120 gb HDD ST 3120213A ( 7200)
ATI Radion Xpress 200
New Corsair 400w PSU

Hi Nando,
you have a few options for keeping your OS with a new major hardware upgrade

1)do a clean install of your OS (requires windows CD) best option if you can
2)do a repair install (requires Windows CD)
3)run 'sysprep' so your current install will work with new hardware.(not always an option)

when you activate it may get flagged my MS, in that case you need to get on the horn and provide an explanation of why you are reactivating.

I believe this is your board
http://shopper.cnet.com/motherboard.../4014-3049_9-31901649.html?info=review#info-1

Hi Red1776 ,

Thanks very much for your info - yes i will do a clean install as i managed to save all the old files from this system so hopefully will be starting afresh .
Yes that looks like the same mobo - i'll look into that but i'm not sure whether i'll be able to get that model as i'm in the UK and not sure of shipping etc .
IF i can't get an exact swap for this mobo can you suggest a similar or slight upgrade to this board - but would i still be ok to reinstall the existing XP disc ?
Alternatively , assuming microsoft won't allow this and i have to upgrade anyway i wonder whether i might as well get a slightly better mobo allowing an upgrade of processor as well ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks for that suggestion , it looks like a much better mobo than the present intel - i'll look into that as i like the idea of possibly upgrading to a Core2 duo .
Is that board ok with the Ram i have ( DDR2 533 mhz) or will i have to forget that ?
On that point - is this RAM type outdated or could i still get a mobo to suit this ....or isit not worth the hassle and i should get a better/more updated mobo " ?

Thanks for your help i really appreciate it .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back