TechSpot

Modems - Routers

By drecked
May 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Hi Guys I'm looking for ideas on a new modem my last one which developed epileptic
    fits is a netcomm it would be nice for a change to have one that would last for more than eighteen months or is that about the norm ?
    tell me your thoughts I'm interested to hear !
    kind regards drecked.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,030   +591

Q1: What is your connection to the ISP & Internet; Cable, DSL, Satellite?

Q2: Do you have more than one system/device that needs Internet access?

3. drecked

drecked TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 41

Hi Jobeard ,

RE: Q1: the modem is connected to the phone land line to DSL

RE: Q2: 2 systems but the second one is on line very sparsely so it's mainly one

so a good quality wireless modem is all I need ! ( Quality being to operative word)

4. jobeard

Personally, I prefer separated modems & routers - - allows one to be replaced without affecting the other. Your experience with epileptic fits is an example of the issue - - which component is barfing?

On a DSL connection, make sure your ISP publishes a list of supported modems as they will not assist you with unsupported devices.

"good quality wireless" is typically the touch-stone of the issue - - wireless connectivity can be complicated and marginal when in fact the modem-dsl can be rock solid as well as a wired router connection.

Before you jump into the deep end of the pool (ie replace anything), try using a wired ethernet connection to at least one of the systems to verify that all connections are a problem vs your wifi is unreliable.

5. drecked

I should point out that the modem ran faultlessly for 16 months and than it starting dropping out every 60/90 seconds I have a loan one at present and it has dropped out a few times too , my
    ISP is looking in to it at the moment so that's the reason I asked what would be a good
    modem to buy if it's the problem perhaps I better wait now to hear their verdict ?
    thanks for your input regards drecked

6. jobeard

My point is there are two failure points

a) the ISP==Modem connection
    b) the modem/router<-->wifi-->devices

with a DSL connection, the ISP connection can be just as problematic as the WiFi.

I assume you have the necessary phone line filters which go everywhere EXCEPT on the modem connection.

7. drecked

Due to the fact that the loan modem drops out as my own they sending out a tech
    so I think I will see what happens first before making up my mind about a new
    modem thank you for your input jobeard and I think we will leave it here for while
    But I will let you know the result . regards drecked

8. jobeard

Sounds right to me too :)