1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

MOG founder files suit, claims Beats fired him so they wouldn't have to pay compensation package

By Shawn Knight · 9 replies
May 16, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. MOG founder David Hyman has filed a lawsuit against Beats Electronics for more than $20 million according to a new report from The Wrap. The complaint stems from a compensation agreement that was signed when Beats acquired his company two...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,794   +1,119

Im not even close to a professional in this type of thing, but that seems like it might possibly be a not so wacky claim?

3. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,422   +349

Came a bit late tho didnt it... 6months down line "Ah I am gonna sue beats! its been 6 months and I should probably make court case..."

ikesmasher likes this.
  4. EchtoGammut

EchtoGammut TS Rookie

I didn't know Beats bought MOG. With that in mind, the purchase of Beats makes a little more sense. From his point of view, he probably realized why they ousted him once the news about the Apple acquisition was announced. I do find it a bit amusing that Beats bought MOG, since they mostly catered to the streaming audiophile community, which isn't exactly Beats demographic.

mosu likes this.
  5. dms96960

dms96960 TS Addict Posts: 279   +42

"Some will no doubt view the lawsuit as a money grab in light of Apple’s interest"

I am some

6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 9,101   +3,223

It could have been the guys lawyer dragging their feet. I can't say though, as I don't know any details. The time delay could also stem from new information that didn't surface until months later.

spectrenad and wastedkill like this.
  7. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Evangelist Posts: 489   +117

He was fired for terminating somebody... surely that must mean he literally murdered somebody because I don't see how someone in a management type role could be fired for firing someone. The article was non-specific about his role post acquisition. Is it too much to presume he retained some type of management position? Otherwise, I don't see any reason for somebody to be part of a company he sold if he didn't retain enough power to make it worth his time. It just seems fishy. I hope he has some hard proof though. It'll be circumstantial evidence mostly, I presume, and thats a tough sell.

twojpodlysyn likes this.
  8. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,422   +349

I can imagine it now in the court Judge: So why did you wait 6 months before you filed the lawsuit?, Mog founder: I was on vacation for 6 months and tbh I didnt know apple was interested in buying us so now they are I thought Heck why not lets sue them :D.

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 7,728   +2,749

I was just thinking the same thing. Maybe Cook will feel sorry for him when Apple buys Beats and fully recompenses him from the loose change in his pocket. :)

10. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Guru Posts: 726   +319

To those that think 6 months is too long to file lawsuit, you have never filed a professional one before have you...