Monitor and wallmount recommendations

MrBlkfx1

Hello TS,

I've recently decided I would like to try out multi monitor computing. My idea is to buy two 25' - 27' monitors to use in conjunction with my 32' monitor I currently own. I'd keep my 32' on my desk and mount the other two above it. I wouldn't necessarily be gaming on the two monitors. I would keep that on my 32'. They would mainly be used for multitasking when browsing,microsoft office work, photo editing, and programming.

So, my question to you all is this:

What are some good 25' to 27' monitors? I don't need anything top of the line. I would just like to get a feel for multi-monitor computing. Also, do any of you know of any decent dual monitor wall mounts?
Budget: $600.00
I'm using two 7950 boost cards - if anyone needed to know.

Edit: I also prefer purchasing my parts from Newegg.
Thanks in advance!

I can help you with the monitors, but maybe not the mounts. My first question is why do you want them to be on top of each other? I would recommend going horizontally. Monitors are kind of annoying if you have 3 and they are different sizes. But this really only a problem if you gaming along all 3. Is the 32"running at 2560x1440? Because if that is so, the resolution would be wierd if you have 2 1080P monitors + a 32" 2560x1440 one.

The 32' is 1080p and I would want the two monitors next to each other horizontally. But, I do not intend to game on them. I would keep gaming on the 32'.

There's quite a few affordable 27in 1080p monitors but they're all TN which have very poor vertical viewing angles so I wouldn't recommend having them on top of your current 32in. Also depending how far you sit from your monitors you might get a sore neck from looking upwards - at work I have only 19in monitors on top of each other and it's not comfortable viewing. You might want to measure it out and see if it's viable for you.

Considering your requirements you might want to consider getting monitors in portrait mode, e.g. U2412M, they're more useful for browsing, programming and some Office programs in portrait than in landscape mode.

I thought about using portrait mode but, I don't necessarily have the desk space for them. I scrapped the idea and figured I'd just mount two monitors. TN monitors have bad vertical angles... So, my best bet would be IPS monitors if I want to mount them?

Yeah, I'd say IPS is a must. With your budget you can go for:
  • 2x Dell U2312HM/U2412M, they're pretty cheap and have decent image quality. The anti glare coating is a little heavy but not a problem unless you hate matte monitors.
  • 1x 27in 1440p monitor e.g. Dell U2713HM or Asus PB278Q (which is PLS not IPS which also has good viewing angles)
  • 1x Dell U2913WM or LG 29EA93 (TS review here) for super widescreen
Or you can be adventurous and check out those Korean monitors on ebay (Crossover, Yamakasi, Qnix).

I agree with slh28. For your budget, you can afford to get those ultrasharp monitors. I personally wouldnt pay more than $200 for a 1080P monitor since IPS screens are becoming the norm. That is just my opinion though. I am pretty sure most monitors allow you to remove the stand, just make sure though. I would also recommend getting a LED IPS monitor since LEDs save on electricity and I personally like the brightness of an LED backlight.

Uhh, am I the only one hesitant at you jumping in full force with $600 flailing around? I mean, it's not my money, but still! :(

I am highly confused. You have $600 to blow, but you're using a 1080p TV as your monitor. The pixel size at that measurement is pretty big compared to PC monitors. I think if you get anything higher-res than 1080p you're going to have problems adjusting your vision.

I'd recommend picking up some second hand 4:3 monitors with 1280x1024 resolution just to try it out. The PPI and pixel size/gaps are more in tune to your TV as compared to other monitors.

It isnt that hard to adjust your vision. Just takes an hour or two of using it. I think you should get 3 $200 monitors Blk. Dump that 32" tv. If you arent doing photo editing or color intensive activities, UltraSharp monitors are a waste.

Well, I've been using my 32' 1080p monitor because It has worked well for me lol. I didn't need anything better. As for my budget - $600 was just a figure I thought appropriate for this little project. I wasn't sure how much decent monitors would run me ._.

With that said, I didn't really plan on getting rid of the 32' - I've become pretty used to it. Plus, it doubles as my console monitor when I'm not using my PC. I actually didn't think about problems with my eyes and the new resolutions. I can't see it being too bad to get used too. But, I do appreciate the point you are making St1ckM4n

Yeah, I've got nothing against you using your TV as monitor. If it works for you, great! :)

The 'adjusting vision' bit I was referring to was more to do with the multi-monitor setup. If you're looking at a 32inch 1080p screen, then look over to a tiny 24inch 1080p... everything will be smaller, etc. This could be difficult to adjust to..every time you look away.

Got it Got it. I see what you mean. Well, I will see how it works out. Worst case scenario - I can always get my money back and re-work things : )

Yeah, I've got nothing against you using your TV as monitor. If it works for you, great! :)

The 'adjusting vision' bit I was referring to was more to do with the multi-monitor setup. If you're looking at a 32inch 1080p screen, then look over to a tiny 24inch 1080p... everything will be smaller, etc. This could be difficult to adjust to..every time you look away.
Ah that is what you meant. I thought you meant something different :D.

Back