Monitor black but turning monitor off/on flashes desktop for split second

o0alina0o

Hi, I have windows home 7, home built pc with Asus motherboard. Don't ask me further spec details cuz I have no idea about most of the specs (an ex built it and can't get in control panel due to monitor issue). I just know that it's supposed to be kick-*** with a 5.8 windows score.

The PC boots fine, gives you the option to start windows normally or leave it do its' thing... but either way I try, it makes no difference to monitor.
When it boots, the monitor shows all the usual details, the bios pic, starting... and as soon as it reaches desktop point (I think), it goes black even though monitor is still powered and no errors about no signal. If I turn monitor off and on, it will quickly show me the desktop then it goes black again.

I'd appreciate any help or insight.

Hi, first thing I would try is to connect the PC to another monitor that is known to be in good working order. If the same problem occurs then we will know it is a problem with the PC, if it functions normally you will know it is a problem with your monitor.

Monitor black...

I don't have another monitor to test it with and I don't think I have the wires or possibilities to plug it to tv. There must be another option for 'normal' people... you know... those people that don't build or fix pcs therefore don't have any such spare parts around. lol.

I appreciate most people do not have a spare monitor, but do you not have any friends with a desktop PC that would not mind you borrowing their monitor so you can quickly make this test.

It is important to perform this test first so we know if the fault is in the PC or the monitor.

As you are able to briefly see the desktop on the monitor when you switch it on and off I suspect the monitor is faulty. Connecting another monitor to the PC will be a quick and simple way to prove this.

monitor...

Thanks Mark. No, it's not that easy as friends live quite far out. I may just cut my losses and buy an upgraded monitor.

I've studied the problem further and after enough time of just leaving the pc booted with black screen, the monitor does eventually go into stand-by mode and turning it on and off gives me the Benq blue screen then says no signal.

When I first got it, after just few reboots, I left it on for quite sometime (about 2 days with screen-saver) and somehow went black and couldn't get it back on. The ex came round and apparently 'fixed' it... loool... I thought perhaps it was a sleep issue but when I checked setting, sleep option wasn't enabled. At the same time as 'fixing' it, he also thought it would be funny to change bios logo, so his name flashes with every boot. He knew that it would annoy me as we were separated, and NOW, it does annoy me even more because the monitor won't work properly, but it still works long enough to flash his name. ARGH! So yeah, Mark, if you ever feel like being extremely annoying to someone, just do that to them... =))) Figured how to fix logo, but now I can't get the details of motherboard (it's on the pc but blank screen) to call them up to send me the corresponding CD to fix the logo.

Alright, rant over... gonna go try connecting it and disconnecting it another 20 times or so 'til new monitor arrives. Glad I didn't throw the mac beast out. =))))

There is probably some free software out there that will change the logo, just need to know the Bios name and version and the mobo details.

I think I missed something when I first read your opening post. You are saying when it starts it gives the option to start normally, that usually only happens after the system has crashed. Under normal circumstances the PC would just boot straight into Windows and only stop to ask for a password if you have set one. Please confirm this as there maybe something we can do.

Also, have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

monitor...

It does that cuz I turned it off with the power button as screen wasn't there to shut it off normally. Haven't tried safe mode.

Bios logo...

I don't know bios name and tried hacking it but he set a password and don't feel like risking by-passing bios pass. lool

In reply to post 7. I understand, but give safe mode a shot, sometimes a faulty graphics card will cause a blank screen but will give an image in safe mode.

In reply to post 8. Tricky, but often there is a small jumper on the motherboard that will reset the password.

If you take the side of the case off and have a good look around the motherboard there will be a model number printed on it. See if you can find it and tell me what it is.

Bios & Screen

I feel a bit 'scared' to get the side off. Last time I took a side off, it took me a week of trying to get it back on. loool Hardware, I'm pants at... OS messing, I'll manipulate to some extent although bios is still freaking me out a bit. lool
I will try the safe mode in a bit.

P.S. I'm not sure I could identify if I gave you the motherboard m-number or the hard-drive or whatever else is in that case. lool

Ok, just have a go at safe mode. If you do get brave enough to open the case the motherboard is the board that goes across the case covered in electronic components with a fan in the middle. There are usually several numbers on the board but the model number will probably be more obvious and in bigger writing, it will be a few letters followed by a few numbers.

Case

How do I know which side is the one that slides (or the preferred one)? I don't wanna rip the motherboard out from other things when I slide the side out. lool I think it was at least 6 years since I last attempted a side off mission. loool

Monitor...

I dunno what to say but it's fixed. I booted it in safe mode (worked), then booted it normally... it works. The only thing I've done is changed my keyboard and mouse over as my mac one gave up partly before the safe boot...
I've tried booting it up soooooo many times before and the black screen was persistent once it got to desktop mode. I'm even more scared to get the side off now. loool

Motherboard

OK, I didn't take the side off but found the thing on the pc with all the details about motherboard and a picture of it that seems to have the same number stated lots throughout the file. Does P8P67-M_PRO mean anything to you? (version 3)

The number for the motherboard is correct and you can download the manual from here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8P67M_PRO/#download, scroll down the list to find the English version.

In the index you will see an entry for "Jumpers" if you are brave enough to follow this you can clear the CMOS which will delete the Bios password and reset everything in the Bios back to default, that should also clear the Bios logo. This may not be advisable if you don't know what the original set up was but the PC should still function ok after a reset.

Anyway, glad to hear you have the picture back, not sure what could have happened so fingers crossed the problem does not return.

Back