Monitor error message out of range - not display settings! (I think)

Legoflamb

Ok so I was trying to help out business near where I work.

They have a a really old tower and just recently the CRT monitor they were using had a the green 'on' light on it but the screen was completely blank.

I lent them a flat screen monitor thinking maybe the monitor had, had it.

This time I got the start up stuff - american megatrends etc but when it started booting windows just before it displays the desktop it says out of range.

I managed to get into safe mode to change resolution etc but there was no option for changing refresh rate it was greyed out and set as default (didnt say what number)

What could be causing this?

So the CRT monitor wouldnt display anything at all
The flatscreen gave error message just before displaying the desktop.

Is it display settings?
Is it the graphics card?

I told them I can't fix it unless I 've got a spare graphics card to replace theirs with and their mobo doesn't have a monitor out built in.

I could easily wipe it and reinstall windows (good idea for this 6 year old computer anyway...) but I don't think this is the real problem.

I've lent them a tower in the mean time to tide them over.

Any ideas on this?

Cheers!

Possibly the graphics card or the power supply could be going south.

I managed to get into safe mode to change resolution etc but there was no option for changing refresh rate it was greyed out and set as default (didnt say what number)

If I remember correctly, when you apply the graphics settings in safe mode, it tells that the next normal boot will use that resolution (ie. 640x480 or 800x600, 60 Hz).

Back