Monitor filled with red dots and streaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

i'm not sure at all what the problem with my computer is but a few nights ago my monitor was filled with red dots and streaks it then froze and crashed, i was able to turn it on after but as soon as dots appeared it happened again, my monitor also keeps entering power save mode unbidden, i opened my computer and cleared out the dust to see if it would help but didnt, it has got to a stage where the dots and crashes appear before the welcome screen. If anyone could shed some light on this.

thx for the feedback, i'm not great with computers so by video card do u mean graphics card? and if so im using a nVidia gforce 8800GTX (i think thats right).

Yep thats what I meant. Make sure all the power cables to the card are properly seated too. If you've done all that it probably means a bad PSU (not getting enough power) or a bad video card. I would expect that if the PSU wasn't supplying enough power to make things successfully work on boot then there would be an alarm (like there is on my 7800GS if I forget to hook up the power, I also have an 8800GTS, but have never hooked it up without the power cables).

when the computer crashes with the error screen i get the cause of the prob nv4_disp according to the dell technichian my graphics card is broken as i reseated the graphics card with no luck so thx for all feedback =)

I agree with the tech, nv4_disp is almost always a driver error, but since you have these problems before the driver loads that points to a hardware problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back