TechSpot

Monitor goes into Standby mode when entering games * PLZ HELP *

By Malrubius
Nov 12, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, I consider myself pretty good with computers. I have fixed my parents, friends, strangers computers for years now. This one though is starting to worry me. I am going to go into great detail, in hopes someone can help me out.
    Just recently ( Nov 10, 2k5 ) when I was playing CS:S (after new steam platform update), i had been playing for about 45 minutes, then my monitor went to standby mode, and looping sounds happened for about 15-20 seconds then stopped. After nothing happened for awhile, i restarted and while in post it said my overclocking failed (2.0 to 2.2, A64 3200+ Claw), I ignored it and went into windows. Started to play CS:S again and within 30 seconds same thing happened. I tried to restart again but monitor did not come on this time, and 1 beep occured. I then shut down my comp completely then turned it back on. This time no OC'ing message and everything was going normal. I tried quake 3 for a min or two and everything was fine. (I thought all this was happening b/c of Steam, but its in almost all of my games). I then tried different games such as Painkiller, UT2004, Warhammer: Winter Assault, HL2 Lost coast etc., all made monitor go to standby (with the sound looping issue as well) when entering. So, ok must be a driver issue right? Nope. I updated my vidcard drivers for my 6600GT AGP to newest (81.85). Still no luck. I updated my videocards BIOS, no luck (and took away my temp monitoring :mad: ). Then I reinstalled DirectX 9.0c, no Luck, turned my Video card settings to default (500/900), no luck. I even set my BIOS to all default. As you guessed it, no luck. This ONLY happens when I try and enter a game. I can browse internet, use MS Office and defrag and listen to music/watch movies all day. My temperatures for my cpu/hdd/vga are all within normal temps (cpu 35C idle, vga 43C idle, HDD slightly warm to touch) I also did system restore as a last resort but of course didn't work out. I really don't want to format, as that would take a LOT of time to backup everything. Anyhelp would be REALLY APRECIATED. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

BTW my setup
    Thermaltake Armor Case
    Asus K8V-SE Deluxe with 754 3200+ Claw
    2x512 Cas 3 crap ram
    430W Thermaltake
    MSI 6600GT AGP (was 600/1200 b4 this all happend ;) )
    Pioneer 16x DVD Burner
    1x 200Gb 8meg SATA HDD Maxtor
    1x 200Gb 16meg Pata HDD Maxtor
    1x 120Gb 8meg Pata HDD Maxtor (Boot Drive)
    Audigy 2 ZS Plat.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.