Monitor goes to power saving mode while gaming. Bad mobo or video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my problem happens only when I am gaming. Basically when I am playing a game such as the warhammer beta, I will go for hours and things will be fine. However, when there is a lot of movement on the screen, my computer stutters and my monitor turns all black then enters power saving mode. However, I can still hear the in-game sounds and my tower is still running. Turning my computer monitor on and off does not fix the problem. I have to manually restart my computer. I am pretty positive it is not a monitor issue. I believe the issue is either a faulty motherboard or perhaps a faulty video card.

My computer is mainly a 2000 dell with a replaced video card, motherboard, ram, cpu, and powersupply. When putting the motherboard in place (which is an Abit VT7) my brother forgot to put the copper bearings in the tower and just screwed in the motherboard. Flipping the switch on would produce nothing. Finally I discovered what he was doing wrong and placed the bearings inside. For years, nothing seemed to be wrong with my computer. Then, while playing counter-strike source and world of warcraft, I started getting horrible framerate and then the monitor would turn off like it does now, even though the rest of my computer is running fine.

I think that when my brother did not put in the copper bearings, he may have partially damaged my mobo and only now the problems of that initial damage are making themselves visible.

However, I read on another forum that the video card could be the cause of my monitor turning on power saving mode while the rest of the computer is running fine.
When the initial black outs began to happen, I actually went and increased my pagedpoolsize which fixed the problems in counter-strike and world of warcraft. However, the problem has returned since playing warhammer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For future post, when you think you may have a hardware issue. Pls post your pc specs so that we can properly help you.

The refresh rate on your nVidia card (in the properties under Monitor) should be set for 60Hz

The actual physical Video card can be removed (adhering to power and antistatic precautions) all dust removed (ie using a compressed air can) Then securely mounted back into the PCI slot (a little force, not much, needed to push the card securely back in)

One last option would be to confirm that your CMOS settings is set to 64 Meg for the addon video (not all have this setting though) Windows will then properly re-adjust the setting through PlugnPlay (Yes this is correct :) )

If all of the above still do not help
Obviously confirm you have the latest video drivers installed
And possibly run Memtest on your Ram

Last option: Replace the Screen

Please let me know how you went.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses.
The problem was my motherboard. I decided to take the opportunity and reformat my computer. My motherboard, ram, cpu, video card, and hard drive were all very old so now that they have been replaced, the problem has disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back