Monitor goes to sleep and won't respond

geno368

I have a 1 year old Gateway desktop running Windows 7 home premium with 4gb ram. Sometimes, when I am working and the system may be idle for 15 min or so, the monitor will go into sleep mode. It shows no signal, and no keyboard action will awaken it. I have the power settings to never turn off and the screen saver is off as well. I swapped out the monitor with another and it did the same thing, so I think I have eliminated hardware. I then went to the device mgr and attempted a driver update, which said I had the latest driver. The only way it will come back on is to cold boot the system. BTW, I have reseated the video cable as well. I have looked at the m/b and all looks ok. No bulging capacitors or excessive dust on processor, etc. Keep in mind, that when this monitor goes to sleep, the system is still operating correctly with fans running and the power light is on steady. No matter what I do to try to wake up the monitor, is is not responsive. I have to hold down the power button on the tower for a few seconds to shut it down. I then wait a few minutes and bring the system back on.Also, when this happens, the keyboard is dead as well.
Thanks

Back