TechSpot

Monitor, graphics card, or motherboard issue?

By Born In 89
Jan 25, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi TechSpot users!

I have a problem with my monitor. Or. I actually dont know whether it is the monitor, the graphic card or perhaps my PCI-Express slot.

When I turn on my computer, the screen is black and the little blue powerbutton is flashing and nothing happens when i push it. I cant turn my monitor off either, unless I pull the plug.

I've had this problem for some time now. Sometimes the screen just appears by itself after several hours. Sometimes I sit down and push the power button repeatedly and maybe it works after a while. Sometimes it helps to restart the computer.

When the screen works, there is no problem. I can play games and restart the computer and it still works. I can also turn the monitor off and on. I can even turn off the computer (only for a couple of seconds though) and it still works. But if I turn of the computer and leave it for say, 15 minutes, i am right back to the problem mentioned above.

I have tried to replace both monitor, and graphic card. And i've tried to switch the digital cable with an analog (ports as well, of course). Could it be my PCI-e slot? And if so, how to find out, and is it repairable by the average consumer?

Best Regards
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,813   +159

What is the make and model of your monitor?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.