Monitor loses signal, keyboard locks up

This started to happen about a month ago and has been getting progressively more frequent. Nothing has changed on my system, no new hardware. After the first time it was a couple of weeks until it happened again, then a week, then a few days, now it's just been two days apart.

With no warning, my monitor with go dark and pop up a no signal message. At first I thought it was the video card going bad, but today I realized that the keyboard was locking up as well. I was using a chat program with push to talk, and talking with friends at the time, and I asked if they could hear me after the monitor lost signal. They could not, and that is when I realized my keyboard was locking up as well, I couldn't turn on caps lock, etc.

I am running Vista 64, with the following hardware:
nVidia GeForce 9800 GT
Intel E8400 Dual Core Processor
Asus P5E3 Premium/WIFI-AP Motherboard
G-Skill 4GB DDR3 Memory
Corsair 750w Power Supply
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
and one each WD & Seagate HDs (cannot remember models but don't think it's important here).

Everything is about 2.5 years old, except the video card which is about 8 months old. They keyboard is connected to a USB port. I have opened the case and made sure all fans are working and blown out dust, and I moved the monitor cable to the second port on the video card, and this is still happening.

Also, I have noticed on power up lately that for a split second the video on the initial blue Windows loading screen will sometimes be incomplete, the bottom part black just for a second or two longer than the rest, and once it looked like tearing on the side. This added to my initial idea that it was the video card, but my concern is that that shouldn't be locking up the keyboard as well. I cannot recreate the problem, it's intermittent and there is nothing that seems to cause it that I can tell.

I'm very frustrated and unsure how to resolve this problem. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The keyboard locking up could be a red herring. That is, maybe it only seems to lockup but, rather, it doesn't work because the whole system has frozen. Do you have access to another graphics card to test with? How about a power supply?

I do have an older graphics card I could swap in, and that's on my list of things to try next. I did a 3DMark test and everything was fine, no lockups or issues with that, and that usually puts a heavy load on the power supply, doesn't it? I do not have a power supply I can swap out to test.

I didn't have the problem yesterday, if it happens again today I will swap out the video card and try that for a few days.

Back