Monitor losing backlight?

davidraimosson

Hi all!

After upgrading the RAM of a computer, there's a strange error. The monitor works for a minute or so and then looses backlight, I believe. It's namely possible to see some vague contours of the image on the screen, but it's almost black.

The graphics card is not an external one so the memory is taken from the RAM, which is why I believe there might be an issue.

I tried using another screen for half an hour and it worked perfectly.

For now there's a quick solution. I can simply turn the power of the monitor off and then again and then it works for a minute or so.

If anybody can help it would be great!

Its not your computer.

It's a busted monitor.

It will eventually die, so if you can get warranty do it.. thx

Everything is certainly legal

@tweakboy: It's true, it's my grandparents' computer. I expected a more serious reply, though.

However, after sorting that, I tried using the failing monitor as an external monitor to my laptop and now it seems everything is working just fine. Could there be something not working correctly with the RAM after the upgrade?

Sorry, here is more info.

So you got the monitor to work on another pc ?

But it wont work on your grandparents.

Try another video card input. Change Video card to another slot if possible.

Go to safe mode, uninstall all drivers video drivers and reboot. Come back and install it

Give us a bit more detail on your rig and well take it from there.
Let me know what happens when you follow these steps.. thx

Don't want to reinstall the graphics drivers in vain

Yes, the monitor works when used as an external one to my laptop but as standard monitor to my grandparents' desktop computer.

I can't change the slot for the graphics card since it's merged with the motherboard.

I don't want to reinstall the drivers for the graphics card, which would mean reinstalling the motherboards drivers. Not just like that, I don't see the reason why it would help. For a good reason I could do it.

I tried to change the RAM configuration to a single 512 MB chip but the problem is still there. I used two different RAM chips before, both at the size of 512 MB.

The machine is hand-picked by me, so it's not from a specific brand. The motherboard is however a ABIT KV-80.

"I can't change the slot for the graphics card since it's merged with the motherboard.

I don't want to reinstall the drivers for the graphics card, which would mean reinstalling the motherboards drivers. Not just like that, I don't see the reason why it would help. For a good reason I could do it.

Your incorrect. Video drivers do not touch your motherboard drivers.

It looks like its your video card that is the culprit !!! Might need to RMA this. but lets continue our steps see if we can sorta it out without RMA ,.. and what not.

oh I get it sorry,, so its mobo and audio drivers your right....

davidraimosson,
it sounds like the computer is trying to run the monitor at the wrong vertical refresh rate. It should be run no higher than 60Hz. Your laptop runs at 60Hz by default

Vertical refresh rate

@Tmagic650: I've set the refresh rate to 60 Hz specifically in Windows (XP) just to ensure that the load on the monitor is as low as possible. I can't set it lower, just higher (75Hz). So it can't be the thing, right? The refresh rate on the laptop is 60 Hz as well.
I've even reduced the color depth to 16 bit to make it run easier.

Can you install a driver for that monitor? The computer should recognize that monitor when it is attached, and set the proper modes. Is this happening? LCD monitors like my expensive Samsung SyncMaster 245bw runs at 60Hz

Only Plug and Play-driver installed

The driver installed for the monitor is a plain Plug and Play-driver. The monitor is a Hyundai ImageQuest L50S but I don't have a driver for it, haven't thought that it would solve the issue, but it might. Good idea! I'll have to look around for drivers then.

Looks like you are well updated using Windows update. Run Windows Update once more and see if there are any optional updates pertaining to your Hyundai monitor. My Windows 7 recognizes my SyncMaster monitor

Another flat monitor works fine

Another monitor was tested with the computer. This time it was another flat monitor and it works fine. (LG FLATRON 782LE). So it seems the original monitor is the problem anyway.

I've used the signal cable with the original monitor as an external monitor for the laptop and everything worked fine then, so it can't be that.

The original monitor worked on a laptop as I forgot, the test monitor may have a bit wider resolution spec

Whoops, my bad

After testing the failing monitor more thouroughly it behaved badly also when used as an external monitor to the laptop. So it seems tweakboy was right, after all.

Back