Monitor mysteriously (to me) blue-tinted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a slightly puzzling thing happen to me, well specifically to my computer's monitor. Okay, I have two computers in my house right now. One of them is for internet and the other one is for accidentally messing up in creative ways. :) This morning I had a problem (and this problem continues to persist) with the latter computer. I booted it up, and all the colors were wrong. Specifically, they are wrong in a very orderly way. All of the colors have shifted towards blue. It's kinda like someone put a semi-transparent blue screen over my monitor.

This was a little surprising because the monitor worked perfectly yesterday without a hint of planning this special treat for me. The monitor is pretty old (I guess about 9 years or so), but until today was still running strong. The problem is present during that text thingy the bios does when I turn the computer on, and so I thought it's probably not something with windows. I thought maybe the monitor itself was starting to die on me, and so I moved it across the room and connected it to the other computer.

When I did that, it worked perfectly. I thought, "gosh, that stinks. The problem is with my computer." I decided to test this by moving my computer to where the other computer was sitting and connecting it to the other computer's monitor. When I did that, everything worked right and the colors were right. I thought, "hmm, that's strange", and decided to try something.

Since my computer (the non-internet one) was sitting next to its monitor, and both of them were near the other computer I decided to test them. When I did that, the computer/monitor worked properly. I thought, maybe something inside my monitor moved around when I carried it and so I put the computer and monitor in their normal place. When I booted up the computer again after putting it back in place the problem was there again.

I tried unplugging all electrical devices that were near the comptuer. That didn't help. I tried connecting it via extension cords to a different wall outlet. (Yeah, I know you're probably thinking, "what's that supposed to do?") It still didn't work. To add insult to injury, the notebook works perfectly when it's sitting next to my semi-functional monitor.

I'm not an electronics guy, and so I have no idea what's going on here. I just know my monitor is sitting in the same place it's alway sat, and today it decided to be a jerk. There's not enough room to set up the computer in a different place, and so I'm stuck here with an annoyingly blue-tinted monitor. What should I do? What could be causing this?

BTW, sorry about how long this post is.

How about the cable? Try using the known good one. The one that connects the internet PC with its monitor.

Did anything change in the house? Did you move some large appliance to some new location? My point is this happened to me once I had my PC on desk there for about a year and one day the monitor went purple all down one side. We had just installed a new hot tube outside, but the electrical feed went through the wall just behind my computer desk. I moved my desk about a foot to the right and it was ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back