TechSpot

Monitor not turning on after freeze

By Noprisoners
Jan 11, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I recently factory restored my computer, today actually. I had it running fine and was installing some of my old programs and transferring over some pictures I had put onto a flash drive. I left the computer on as I went out for 3 hours, allowing everything to finish and hope it'd be done by the time I got back. When I got back, the monitor was black and had a white stripe going across the middle with all weird colored dots within the white stripe. I figured the computer had frozen somehow, but now my monitor won't turn on at all. I manually restart the computer with the power button, I hear the fan going on and I even hear the beep noise, but my monitor is still black. When I touch the power button on my monitor, I get the noise it usually makes followed by the gateway logo. After a few seconds it just says no signal. What could be the issue here?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

Try another monitor first, then your computer might be sending the wrong signal to the monitor. A video signal "out of range" can cause a monitor to do this

3. Noprisoners

Noprisoners TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well it started working again last night after I played around a bit with the DVI. I tried plugging it into my other DVI port on my vc and it worked. So I thought that DVI port got burned out, but then I tried putting it in the other DVI port that I thought was burned out and it worked too so I'm at a loss lol. I didn't do anything different than I did 2 hours prior but at least it's working right now.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.