Monitor not working while graphics card installed

I just installed a firewire card into my first PCI slot. The monitor would not turn on.
I removed the firewire card and the monitor worked.
I put the firewire card back in and removed the PCIx16 Graphics Card. The monitor worked.

I'm running without a graphics card in the PCIx16 slot at this point. I'm just running my monitor through the onboard graphics card.

So far I've:
-installed the drivers for the firewire port
-Upgraded the power supply to 525w from 300w
-I've messed around in BIOS, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for.

The system:
-ASUS CM5671 (Purchased in 2010 from Best Buy)
-The graphics card came with the computer but I dont have the specs on it. I know it's NVIDIA GEFORCE but I'm not sure what model exactly. Nothing super fancy. GT 8800 if I had to guess.
-The firewire card is a 3 port Dynex card

I can't seem to figure this out, but I'd like to be able to run my Graphics card while my firewire card is connected (Also planning on adding another TV tuner card into the 2nd PCI slot)

Pleae Help!

I doubt it's the power supply, I think either the motherboard or the firewire card is creating an issue. You might look for updated firmware for the firewire card and see if that helps. You might also do the same for the motherboard's BIOS.

Hi, A good program to give you more info about your system is; www.piriform.com/speccy
If installed, click on the light blue section headings for further info on the hardware.
For the firewire card, does the card show up in Windows Device manager?
If yes, then right-click on it's entry for updates to the driver.
Never installed a Firewire card here, but did install a relay driver card in a PCI slot, where the software for it had to be installed before the card was fitted, maybe the same with the Firewire card.
I assume that Windows doesn't have the drivers for your card, if it needs any.

Back