Monitor problem regarding GTX 460

Hello, I've recently been having problems with my video card and a few different monitors. I've been using a 460 GTX cyclone with no problems at all for about a year. Long story short: I'm wondering if it's possible for a video card to corrupt a monitor. I've had visual distortions on 3 different monitors on the same video card.

Recently a monitor that I had owned for around a year had developed a string of horizontal white lines, dead pixels i'm guessing, on the bottom quarter of the screen. I decided to unplug the monitor before I went to work, when I came back and reconnected and started the computer the whole computer screen was like this. I can directly connect the monitor to the motherboard instead of through the videocard and while the whole screen does work but the lines on the bottom quarter of the screen are still present.

I decided to purchase a new monitor thinking it was a monitor problem but after a few days of good picture the monitor also developed a visual problem but was different than the first monitor, colors and the picture were distorted. I decided to replace it for another thinking it was also another monitor problem. I then decided to use a very old monitor that worked well for about 4 days, and the same problem has happened. I am still able to connect the cable to the motherboard and work properly but not directly into the video card. Instead of showing visual problems, the monitor is just a black screen. This video card worked flawlessly for around a year with no problems at all. These problems only started happening recently one after the other.

What I'm trying to ask, is it possible for a video card to corrupt a monitor? I'm not too tech savvy but it's hard to believe 3 monitors broke in the same month. Should I be looking to replace my video card instead of a monitor or is there another possibility?

Thank you for taking the time to read and I hope you can help.

"What I'm trying to ask, is it possible for a video card to corrupt a monitor? I'm not too tech savvy but it's hard to believe 3 monitors broke in the same month"...

I would say no it is not possible for a broken video card to destroy a monitor. What happens is that the dying video card puts out a "bad" video output causing the monitors to display weird... The very old monitor might have been a CRT type, and they are a bit more forgiving with odd resolutions, than the modern LCD monitors are. Replace the video card. It may have been damaged by heat and a fan failure

Back